Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Gtech worth it

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

Default Is a Gtech worth it

I was wondering if anyone thought a g tech was worth it. even if they are from what i hear, off by .1or.2 thats not bad if you ask me, cause i am thinking of getting one. so what do u think is it worth it or not?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is a Gtech worth it

Silly IMO...they prove nothing...go to the track..for a real time..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
blitzed589
2nd Gear Member

waste, rather spend that money and actually buy something to make you faster, than a gizmo that will tell you times that wont be nearly sa impressive as the stock performance stats you can look up on the internet.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

welldoes anyonethink it at least gives a accurate reading? because i cant really mod right now because i am in england for at least one more year, and shipping over here would suck. so i was just lookin for something to show me about what to expect at the track, i am gonna go to the track saturday, but i think it would be fun to mess around with a gtech and see what g forces you out down and your 0-60, because you say you can look at the times in magazines, but people drive different and everyones car is different, so it might show what you and your car are likey made of
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
blitzed589
2nd Gear Member

not really, gtech's reading will always be off, for dragstrips it wont take into account the first few split seconds when ur pulling off and on a circut track i know they get weird on hard breaking and cornering. Might be, its really just a trend right now, until the makers perfect it, its only kinda useful at showing how effective new mods horsepower gains are. I know nothing abt how accurate it reads Gforce's, never looked into that.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattstang2007

welldoes anyonethink it at least gives a accurate reading? because i cant really mod right now because i am in england for at least one more year, and shipping over here would suck. so i was just lookin for something to show me about what to expect at the track, i am gonna go to the track saturday, but i think it would be fun to mess around with a gtech and see what g forces you out down and your 0-60, because you say you can look at the times in magazines, but people drive different and everyones car is different, so it might show what you and your car are likey made of
I have one and they are quite accurate. The G-Tech contains a sensitive accelerometer and timer which samples at like 400x/second and computes speed from accel and time and distance from computed speed and time. If you check around you'll find a number of people using it the for the same thing you want (and I do) useit for... not trekking over to the track and waiting three hours to get two runs in on the crappy lane.

It's great to try 6 different ways of launching in 5 minutes and be able to see your 60' and 0-60 immediately. Makes you better when you *do* go down to the track. I've got a lonely stretch of concrete near me that let's me get in a full 1/8th mile and I can roughly calc my likely 1/4 mile from that.

I've figured out from my run that I am severely traction limited (e.g. I get ahigh 60' time and my 1/8th mile trap speed is high for the ET). I reckon I could have guessed that by the wheel spin even without the G-Tech .

While the ET and Trap speeds are pretty much spot on, the HP/TQ calculations are a bit more problematic. You've got to have a perfectly level road, your loaded vehicle weight dialed in, and no wind interference. I honestly don't use it.

Is it worth $299? It all depends.... If you've got a safe place to test and want to get a lot of 'test racing' in then it probably is. Might want to see if you can bum one from a buddy just to try it out. No problem switching them from car to car.