Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

Default rear end noise

A lot of people have complained on this board about all sorts of rear end noise after installing gears, whines, howls, whisles, etc. I have an 05 V6 and had the most obnoxious howl you could imagine between 40 and 50 mph and loud whining above 65 mph. I had four different sets of gears installed by three different installers at two different performance shops, both reputable. Nobody could get my gears set up right where they would not make noise. Well, I finally said screw it and decided to order the Ford Racing 8.8" axle housing, 3.73 gears, Torsen differential, and LPW axle girdle. I spared no expense. It was worth it. My rear end makes very little noise. The only noise it makes now is a very slight whine at exactly 65 mph, not at 64 and not at 66... just 65. I can live with that. I'm one happy camper. This is what I should have done from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time, effort, frustration and money.

For all those people with similar problems, both V6 and GT alike. If no matter what your rear end makes noise maybe replacing it with a new one would work. It did for me, though I could have saved a lot and just gotten one of the already set up rear ends but I wanted to make certain I got it right.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: rear end noise

ORIGINAL: vb101

A lot of people have complained on this board about all sorts of rear end noise after installing gears, whines, howls, whisles, etc. I have an 05 V6 and had the most obnoxious howl you could imagine between 40 and 50 mph and loud whining above 65 mph. I had four different sets of gears installed by three different installers at two different performance shops, both reputable. Nobody could get my gears set up right where they would not make noise. Well, I finally said screw it and decided to order the Ford Racing 8.8" axle housing, 3.73 gears, Torsen differential, and LPW axle girdle. I spared no expense. It was worth it. My rear end makes very little noise. The only noise it makes now is a very slight whine at exactly 65 mph, not at 64 and not at 66... just 65. I can live with that. I'm one happy camper. This is what I should have done from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time, effort, frustration and money.

For all those people with similar problems, both V6 and GT alike. If no matter what your rear end makes noise maybe replacing it with a new one would work. It did for me, though I could have saved a lot and just gotten one of the already set up rear ends but I wanted to make certain I got it right.

I think the most obvious question is did the shops set the backlash correctly? I believe it requires shims that the owner provides with gears but I could be wrong
Old 06-29-2007, 03:24 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rear end noise

The most obvious problem is the poor quality gears that are out there, I think the Diff shops are getting pretty gun shy about putting gears in our cars, they lose thier butts when the gears are noisy. I had similar issues also. I got lucky, I was finally able to find a good set of gears that don't whine.