Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER SHELBY GT500 dealer made me laugh story

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ANOTHER SHELBY GT500 dealer made me laugh story

if people are willing to pay what they're asking for them, why should they take any less?

that alone will make them even more desirable with time because us normal folks could never afford a new one[&:]
Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

no one should pay 250,000 dollars for a new GT500 when you can get them on Ebay for 55-60,000
Er.... nobody did, would or ever will. Let's just call that a typo, not BS
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 PM
VinUnleaded

Its just a car!
The true value of a car is the personal enjoyment you get from owning and driving it.
Sure...I would love to own one too, but just because a person has alot money doesnt mean they have no brains, i.e. paying so much above sticker.
I would rather have a really nice house.
But, to each his own.
I do agree with the previous poster that when Mr Shelby dies these cars are going to sky rocket in value.
However, do you want to have fun with your car or sweat over it like a delicate piece of glass.
'Its a muscle car! Drive it!
All these inflated prices do is cause people to treat these cars like fragile glass.
Frankly, I would rather have your car I see the pic of in your signature and have fun, than have a car I am going to just look at and count how much its worth each year.
To each his own....

Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM
VinUnleaded

Also, I heard on the radio that Ford keeps releasing new versions of the Shelbys because with the mark ups above sticker are making big profits on those cars, and yes there is alot of demand for them.
The large profits on those cars allows more sales on other Ford vehicles by allowing flexibility on price in those other cars, thus even more sales because they can be more competitive price wise on other Ford vehicles versus other car companys.
Yet, last I heard Ford is still losing money and/or profits are below expectations.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

The reason the older GT500's have increased in value is a decrease in volume of GT500's in existance. Ford has not mentioned an end-date to GT500 production that I'm aware of.....meaning in 3 years there will be more than 30,000 GT500's rolling around. There is no way these cars will increase in value until people startcrashing them or letting them rot in fields somewhere. Anyone paying $20K over MSRP better plan on keeping the car for a very long time. It would be extremely hard to sell a car you paid $20K over MSRP for 2 years agoat the same price the dealer is selling new ones for(ADM is already lowering and disappearing in many parts of the country).

Anyone that paid good money for a GT500 should really start enjoying their car......because 30,000-40,000+ ownersobsessing over their garage/trailer queen does not make a GT500 a good long-term investment.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

Why is it a joke? i sale cars for living. and if i have someone who is going to pay me 20k over what the car is worth, why would i sell it to another asking to pay invoice ? why dont you inquire on a z06 and see what they said, or a
ferrari or some. those car don't sale for msrp.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:10 PM
jason50wsc
1st Gear Member

There is absolutely no way that a GT 500 went for 250,000. You could get a race ready FR500 for that. I think you meant Ford GT. Or this guy was the greatest salesman ever.

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

According to the guy in the service department at the local dealership they sold off two GT-500s to two guys (who were pals) for $250,000 each. He said they put new headers in them and then when they were ready to be picked up they decided to wait because it was raining and they didn't want their cars to get wet. He said they were planning to keep them in the garage.

I cannot fathom paying that much for a car to just let it rot in some garage. If you're going to drop that kind of money on such a car then enjoy it for what it is and what it was meant for.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong but Ford doesn't make any more money if the dealership charges over MSRP. That is profit for the dealership.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

man lighten up everyone....I was just posting how much of a joke it is....sure it is their right to charge what people are willing to pay. as far as someone building their own etc etc...no I dont agree with that as far as the INVESTMENT side of it goes as it will never be a real shelby. Albeit you could realisically build one cheaper...but not real...now on to the investment part....fine.I would take my 55k and invest in some solid stocks before I EVER invested in a car with the expectation of a decent ROI (return on investment) Cars are not investments when they are in production. Plus as someone else pointed out, invest why, to never drive it and HOPE it will gain in value. AS far as the artist point made....yes this is true, when an artist dies their art's value tends to increase, HOWEVER...as another poster pointed out, if there are 3000 of them, how much can you expect it to go up
Old 06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I went to a dealership yesterday in SOCAL (Montebello Ford) to pick up a strut tower brace and I saw they had 2 GT500's in the showroom. I naturally went to take a look. The sticker price of 40K was there from the factory + another sticker (dealer sticker) posting a figure of $43,250, calling it an adjusted market value. How the hell did they come up with such a nice round, really round, number? And they were serious about it. The guy told me "Well you can make an offer and we could see what happens" I love the car but not that much. I can buy alot of nice, even more powerful cars out there for 100k+ out the door. You can pick up a twin-turbo Carrera for that much in SOCAL.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER SHELBY GT500 dealer made me laugh story