Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help going to the track tommorw...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

Default Help going to the track tommorw...

and its my very first time. heres what i plan, first take evrything out of the car that i dont need lower the tire pressure to about 32 maybe 30 or so. its a manual so i guess i will try to rev to 2000rpm's and let the clutch out kinda fast. does any one have hints or tips, this is a stupid question i am new to a manual so what is powershifting exactly and should i try it tomorrow? thanks guys wish me luck my goal is 13.6 or 7. and if i do better which i doubt then right on. oh i am completly stock too.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help going to the track tommorw...

no tips huh. oh well tell ya how it goes tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattstang2007

and its my very first time. heres what i plan, first take evrything out of the car that i dont need lower the tire pressure to about 32 maybe 30 or so. its a manual so i guess i will try to rev to 2000rpm's and let the clutch out kinda fast. does any one have hints or tips, this is a stupid question i am new to a manual so what is powershifting exactly and should i try it tomorrow? thanks guys wish me luck my goal is 13.6 or 7. and if i do better which i doubt then right on. oh i am completly stock too.
You might want to increase the tire psi on the front tires to around 40psi and play with the rears, but I'd start at 28psi and possibly lower them even more after the first run. I think 2000rpms is fine, but depending on how sticky your local track is, 2400-2600rpms might help more with your 60ft time.
You're just racing on "open to public" day, right? So you shouldn't be concerned with a reaction time(since the clocks don't start until you cross the timing beam) and just concentrate on getting your best launch(meaning 60ft times). If you're brave enough to "power-shift"(meaning shifting without using your clutch and timing the revs of the engine to bang the gears) go right ahead, but I would never do it on a daily driver that I still owe over $20K on[:@]. I think you might be better off just being very relaxed and shift your trans quickly, but with a open palm and guiding the shifter into the next gear, never forcing it. Yes, drive like you hate it, but with good technique. Best of luck!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Don't let the clutch out fast, faster than a normal takeoff, but not fast or you'll spin. Don't bother trying to power shift. Just try and shift as quickly as possible. I'd recommend you get a shift light, but since you'll be going tomorrow, it's not going to help you now. I'd shift right at 6k.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I have an auto so I'm not going to tell you how to shift but I want to suggest you just shift as fast as you can without to much strain on the car until you learn how from experience. Don't sidestep the clutch with a lot of revs. You will get braver as you learn. If you have stock tires keep them at 32psi you'll have the widest contact patch. If you are lucky you might see a 13.7 quarter but don't be disappointed if you are at 13.9. Don't watch the tach watch the tree and as soon as you see the last yellow hit it. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Toy around with the rear pressures. 25 psi works best for me, running the stock 17" wheels and Pirellis. Also, I raise the front to 40psi. Rev anywhere from 2000-2500. This is where practice is going to be needed. You gotta basically find a suitable RPM that won't bog you when you get on it, or one that will make you spin.

Power shifting is when you shift without letting go of the gas completely. (Or that's the defination I'm familiar with.)

I wouldn't bother removing the spare and what not... It's not going to matter all that much because you're just starting out. You should be more concerned with finding a comfortable launch.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I was just thinking it would be nice if i could set my raptor shift light to go off at two different rpm settings. Say I want to hold it at 5k without watching the tach and of course I want to shift at 6200. I suspose I could buy another one, but it might get confusing having two different lights going off.Not to mention the first light will stay on until I shift.

ORIGINAL: wingman75

I have an auto so I'm not going to tell you how to shift but I want to suggest you just shift as fast as you can without to much strain on the car until you learn how from experience. Don't sidestep the clutch with a lot of revs. You will get braver as you learn. If you have stock tires keep them at 32psi you'll have the widest contact patch. If you are lucky you might see a 13.7 quarter but don't be disappointed if you are at 13.9. Don't watch the tach watch the tree and as soon as you see the last yellow hit it. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

I wouldn't bother removing the spare and what not... It's not going to matter all that much because you're just starting out. You should be more concerned with finding a comfortable launch.
It can't hurt any either. I'd remove it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Leave your spare in...you'll get more grip!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Why waste the time and hassle of removing the spare. lol. I've got the Shaker 1000, spare, and whatever gas in the car... and still ran 13.0. Unless you are seriously trying to break some time and need to shed the weight.. I'd keep it in.

Quick Reply: Help going to the track tommorw...