Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else not take test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:52 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default anyone else not take test drive?

I'm sure that I'm in the extreme minority for this...did anyone else not take a test drive when they bought their mustang? I located mine online, went to the dealership at night and peeked in the showroom window, and the next day called a salesperson/friend of mine and had my trade assessed/ paperwork done on my lunch, and drove it home that night after work. Some/most of you may think me crazy/stupid for not test driving or even starting up or being within 30 feet of the car before I owned it, but I just knew I'd love it, even though I'd never driven an s197 before...although when I bought my 90 GT I didn't start or drive that one either, and didn't drive the 88 LX hatch either...just curious...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone else not take test drive?

LOL....I didn't drive MINE before I bought it. It still had all the sticky paper wrapping, etc. on it. I had never driven a manual S197, but I had driven an auto before I bought mine....

Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I didn't - I walked in and said "here's my information, here's the stock #, i'm putting x down. it's the black one. I'm going to lunch - have the paperwork ready when I get back."

and it was so. LOL
Old 07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

I took 3 and still almost did not buy one.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

didnt test mine either....knew what i wanted and got it
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I wasn't too bothered about driving it beforehand but the sales guy insisted that I took it for a ride along with my wife. I just drove 1/2 a mile and turned around back to the dealership. The sales guy couldn't believe it, he'd only just got back to his desk and I appearedwaving my chequebook at him
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I knew what I wanted but had to drive it anyways, mine was slightlyused when I bought it though had the cai and was lowered. If buying new I think I still would have test drove it, If its a car I'm not used to then I have to check it out thoroughly and part of that check imo is driving it.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I test drove one at a local dealer and then found the one I wanted an hour away. I did most of the paper work over the phone via fax. He asked me If I wanted to take it for a test drive and I said nope, the hour drive home will be the test.

I've bought two motorcycles and never test drove them. A lot of motorcycle dealers don't even put fluids in the things until you sign the papers. A bit different than a car though.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I didnt drive the car I bought as I found it at a dealer 80 mi from home. I just signed the paperwork and drove home.

I had however driven several 2005-2007 GT's although to this day I have never driven a 3.31 Car. Only M5 3.55.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Fleafromnola
1st Gear Member

I drove the lots, the third dealership got lucky because they had the color and options that I wanted, dropped the "A" planon them, wrote the check and drove off in a hour. Never drovethe car before buying it, heck it is over a year old now, withjust 6,000 miles on it. Drove the car every day for the first 6 months and then parked it, only driveit now if the weather is good and it on the weekend.

Quick Reply: anyone else not take test drive?