Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy...opinions please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Weezel111

Default looking to buy...opinions please!!

I’m looking to buy an 06 or 07 GT in the near future…I will for sure be able to buy one at the end of this year (nov, dec)…but I saw in a dealership last night they had two 06’s, both with under 20k miles on them…I might pull the trigger a bit early…but I am wondering what your opinions are…should I wait?? Should I get it now?? I don’t really mind that I wont be the first owner…but I am a little scared cuz of not knowing how the person drove it…I mean, why would sum1 get rid of a car after only 15k miles?? Should I be worried? Or should I just get it and start enjoying?

Please give me some insight, as I may go tonight after work……would you wait or pull the trigger now?

-b-
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: looking to buy...opinions please!!

Tough to say. I was looking at buying used but ended up buying new when they came out with 0% for 72mo's last year. That was in Sept. Interest rates are creeping up.

Depends on how particular you are about what kind of car you want. The selection is going to get pretty slim. I got lucky and found the exact car I wanted.

Ford is already putting out incentives and they'll probably get better later in the summer.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Maybe getincentives later. Order "your options" after doing the homework. Sounds like you can afford to buy new, if so patience will pay off for you. I would order because, need 3:55rear, no shaker, no premium, no IUP, spoiler delete, etc, each person has their preferences; that's the beauty of ordering. ...and yes you know how the car was taken care of. I wouldn't touch used, but then again I don't need to save a couple grand. Give me "my" car please
Old 07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

If you can, get a new one, that way you know who was the previous owner....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Weezel111

i think i will wait till november...thanks guys for your opinions...you only solidified my original thought...i guess i was having a minor breakdown from the summer heat...

thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I am going to play the Devil's Advocate here.

I bought my GT used a year and a half ago, and got a helluva deal. As long as you're smart when it comes to shopping around for a used car, you can get a car for thousands less than you can buy it new.

Again, just be smart and check the car out, and if it's a private owner, take it to a mechanic. Remember, if you get a car with 20k miles, you still have warrenty left if anything happens.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Weezel111

this is true Superior, but i think ive come to the conclusion that i waited for so long, i mind as well wait a few more months and just get EXACTLY what i want...

but thats for the opinion
Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

GT optioned exactly as you want or search until you find one on the lot. There are things that the dealers dont push (3.55 Gears for $100) because they are always on restriction and rear spoiler deletes N/C because they dont make them money. There are also things that you have to know about like "Driver Ornamentation Package" (Leather Weel, Shift ****, and Brake Handle) for $195 that are available. This is intended to for tuners and listed in the fleet order guide but will go through as an individual order.

You may be closer than you thought. You can get a new 2007 GT around $24,500 with low interest financing or $23,500 without. Options are extra of course.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:51 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

If you have the patience and the fortitude to make an order and not accept any less than an exact match to your requirements, and your requirements aren't commonly assembled in one package, there is no other way.

For my part, I've owned a number of new cars built to my specifications, and almost invariably found out later that a couple of my choices were kind of cute or clever but not something that had lasting value to me. Other "experienced" cars without the cute features were available for thousands less, but I was stubborn, and spent way too much for little return. You are probably smarter than I was, and won't blow a few grand for a white elephant.

My Mustang came to me from a relatively unsupervised driver but had by-the-book maintenence throughout its first year of life and the 14,000 miles it covered as a Los Angeles Budget Rent-A-Car! Other than the numbers on the odometer, and the tread depth on the tires, and the ham-handed but not obvious mistreatment of the paint, you couldn't tell it from new. I know: I shopped for a couple months prior to buying.

I paid very little for it, and the only problems I've had can't be attributed to its prior use: console buzz (exhaust alignment fixed by a dealer, under warranty) and on-the-lot skin disease: water spots that aren't obvious most of the time, but which irritate me to no end when I'm clean-, shine-, and wax-ing.

After nine months of ownership I'm very happy with the car, and molto thousands of dollars ahead (even if you count the many, many dollars I've put into my simple mods). So in this instance the curves of money and use and availability crossed in a good place for me. Other cars, other times, other priorities, maybe not.

Not to say buying new isn't a much-desired goal; it's just that in some cases it might not fit as well as something else. There is a certain kind of satisfaction in having ordered and taken delivery, even if it turns out not-quite right.

In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of for-sale Mustangs out there, and many of the sellers are eager to (pardon the expression) get rid of them. Worth thinking about, even as you await a November and December order date (delivered in March?).
Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

try here:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

until 8/31 there is 0% financing or $1500 cash back on 2007 Mustangs

Looks like they finally sold all their 2006's! Those would still be there for months into 2007.
My advice is to search for used 2007's. But you might want a specific color that wasn't made that year...