Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197- Bad Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: S197- Bad Build Quality

Cosmetic items like interior ***** and carpets are subjective and always on the top of the list for things that fail, no matter how well built a car might be or not be. I knew damn well when I bought my '06 that it would probably fail in the same ways that my '88 and '83 did, and that was on interior trim. When you pay less than the average price for a car and it has300 HP and hasalso won awards for exterior styling and mechanical reliability for the class, you should expect shortcomings.Not sure where you expected them to be, but as a long time Mustang owner, I could have told you.... interior trim.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i feel your pain, really i do....

some might feel that ford tricked them with a
shiny new car, only to find it has some pretty
low quality items.....i knew what i was getting
so i was prepared, some people who are used
to good quality cars (like toyotas) will not be
completely satisfied......

Old 07-04-2007, 05:23 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

hammeron,

wow!

No car is perfect for everyone! Seems to me if you put on 44K miles per year you SHOULD be buying car with the thought of them being disposable!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Wow.44K in a year? That's ALOT! In my mind, anything over 12K a year is alot, and yes, I mean for a daily driver. So this car has basically been through 4 years in one. We know how the trim is holding up, are you happy with the drivetrain? Reliability? Gas Mileage? Certainly you would have a valuable opinion on that.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: erichikov

Normal wear is handles breaking and a foot long rip in the carpet? Maybe the scratches are normal wear but the other things??????????????
If the handles are broken, then one of your backseat passengers broke them. Mine are intact. If there is a rip in the carpet, someone put it there. Carpets do not rip themselves.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: erichikov

Normal wear is handles breaking and a foot long rip in the carpet? Maybe the scratches are normal wear but the other things??????????????
If the handles are broken, then one of your backseat passengers broke them. Mine are intact. If there is a rip in the carpet, someone put it there. Carpets do not rip themselves.
Yep sounds a little like a troll type thread to me....
Broke ***** and ripped carpet....that is really poor quaity if you ask me (sarcasm)! My gas pedal gets all dirty and well my back tires wear a little to fast for my liking Ford should have done something about that too.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:14 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Treating anything roughly and then wanting someone to fix it, is suspect. If the interior was not miss treated and still broke or ripped, then I feel for ya. 44,000 is a lot of miles, If your car had 12,000 , I think people would be way more understanding. 44K, things wear out.
You must live in NY and work in LA.
And, People in the back seat or a Mustang??????????????
Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

like people have stated, the seat handle thing is not uncommon...i have heard of others having the same problem. As far as the interior, it does just sound like wear and tear with the 44k miles. Personally, I think the S197's are pretty solid and I look forward in seeing how long this stang will last me. I am a college student, and my previous car was a hand-me-down from my parents...a 95' V6 Explorer and it currently has 218k on it and is still running fine. Only prob with it was that we had to get a new transfer case at like 110k
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Those sound like extremely minor items to me, especially considering the price of the car and the mileage. Ripping carpet and scratches are caused by you and the people in the car, not by the factory.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the others. It sounds like wear and tear. Most Americans drive about 12 - 15k miles per year (according to my insurance company). Your vehicle has probably seen as much use as a 4 year old car.

Also, I have no idea if you have kids or not, but that makes a huge difference.

It highlights the difference between what consumers define as quality. As a consumer, I'm satisfied with the quality of the vehicle if major vehicle systems work for a reasonable period of time. If it's fixed under warranty, then no big deal. For example, if your transmission had gone out at 44K, then that's reason to be angry, especially since the '06 didn't come with a lengthened power train warranty.

Many will complain about normal noises. The funniest to me is wind noise, although normal driveline issues also come up. I can't tell you how many vehicle reviews I read that discuss the horrors of hearing the wind as you drive! Oh, no!

I was discussing my Mustang with a guy at work. He had rented the V6 version a while back. He thought the car was OK, but it was just way too loud inside and out. He was telling me that there is no excuse in hearing vehicle exhaust or wind noise in a modern car.

This guy would go nuts in my '06 GT with my Stinger Axle backs and generally I drive it with...the windows down! He could go deaf!

Otherwise, I think shoud look into having these minor issues fixed. Let us know how much it costs. I understand the interior scratches can even be repaired.

Quick Reply: S197- Bad Build Quality