Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...

Yea, I agree. If you can't afford to replace the motor (worst case) then you probably shouldn't do it. It's one of those things, if you have the extra money laying around, it'll never blow. If you don't - BANG !

This is why I shudder when I hear about guys with Nitrous systems. They are cheap and cheerful to buy and install, no argument, but Nitrous alone, with no dyno setup? Double-BANG .
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

paid about 7.5k for the whole thing. blower + injectors + CAI + boost-a-pump + sparks + custom dyno tune
did it make a difference?
holy shiet you bet yo' asssss it did.
however, make sure whoever installs your blower installed that specific type of blower before.
I ended up with a shop that messed it up a lil' bit and after a couple of days the belt kept coming off.
It kind of affected my whole experience for a while considering that I had to tow it back to the shop a couple of times (once from Greenbay to Chicago)
They managed to figure out what the problem was and ever since the car is a monster.
it sounds like a race engine and it pulls really really hard.
It is the first car I have ever supercharged and i do not regret it 1 sec. I would do it all over again no questions asked.
It is a totally diferent animal. can't compare it to stock. (I'm running 9lbs of boost for the record, pushing 415rwhp - more to come soon after I'm done with the suspension)
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

get FI only if you have 6-7K laying around, that you won't miss....
it worth it? oh yeah
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Kenne Bell Intercooled - 5800.00
Install - 1200.00

Tune comes with the S/C

Worth it? Only if you like awesome power and sound!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Tune comes with the S/C
See, I wouldn't use that, unless you mean it came with a voucher for a tune. I'd get it tuned properly. Despite what you might imagine, no two motors are the same. You'll have minor differences in so many things, from porting to fuel pump &injector performance, exhaust types etc etc.

443rwhp is a nice number, what A/F is that getting at the top end? See whatI mean?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

I know it doesnt really matter much but im just curious how badly do the twins screws affect MPG? As I keep hearing people saying fuel consumption is awful even just driving around town slowly after it. Heard someone say he is lucky to get 13mpg. Is it really that bad? As that would make me lean towards the centri's / turbo. As its gonna be a daily driver and most of my driving is through city centre in rush hour.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Tune comes with the S/C
See, I wouldn't use that, unless you mean it came with a voucher for a tune. I'd get it tuned properly. Despite what you might imagine, no two motors are the same. You'll have minor differences in so many things, from porting to fuel pump &injector performance, exhaust types etc etc.

443rwhp is a nice number, what A/F is that getting at the top end? See whatI mean?
Well, here's an example of not knowing the whole story, or me not expaining it in detail. The KB tune is very reliable. The install was done by a professional performance shop and then Dyno'd. The tune was spot on for A/F ratio. KB is known for putting out a great tune.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

OF COURSE ITS WORTH IT!!!!

Much like a Corvette is worth 56K and a jaguar XKR is worth 99K.

Whats my point? You got to have the money, not just for the item, but the after thought expenses. Many people can afford $800 a month forCorvette or even more for a XKR, but can they afford the mods for the Vet or the insurance on the XKR? Vice verse? Both? How about when it comes time to replace the 22" performance tires on the XKR? See what I mean?

In other words yes, blowing your stang is well worth it... But you need to have money to possibly build the engine stronger internally to help it last longer, or money to buy a whole new engine if it blows. You also may need money for a better tire/rim setup to put that power to the ground, and even an upgrade in suspension like lower control arms so that new blower doesnt throw your axle in the air over every bump. The list goes on.

Personally, I'd make sure I have 15K to blow before I super/turbo charge... This leaves you a nice buffer zone in case anything goes wrong or you decide you now need help is other areas.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: wozz

I know it doesnt really matter much but im just curious how badly do the twins screws affect MPG? As I keep hearing people saying fuel consumption is awful even just driving around town slowly after it. Heard someone say he is lucky to get 13mpg. Is it really that bad? As that would make me lean towards the centri's / turbo. As its gonna be a daily driver and most of my driving is through city centre in rush hour.
your MPG will suffer.... to make more power requires more fuel..... the other issue is when u have the S/C... u cant keep your foot out of the power!

I've been avg 14-15 around town.... have not done much long dist driving since the S/C....
Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

For highway driving I haven't noticed much of a difference in MPG. In fact, the 4 hour highway ride to Detroit [to get the install] gave a similar MPG to the return trip with the Whipple onboard.

Of course, if you absolutely can't resist getting on it every single time you pull away, then you'll be suffering from MPG issues anyway, so what does it matter if it's a little higher? LOL

There's an argument that says more power means less time on the gas, so ......... go figure

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...