Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...

How much can I expect to spend for EVERYTHING (S/C, Installation, Tune, etc.)...I know their arelots ofvariations, but if you don't mind sharing your set up with cost, I'd love to know....I am planning on a S/C (orpossibly aturbo or TT) and would like to set a target cost wise...

AND is it really worth it for those of you who have them??? Or would I be better off just sticking with a CAI/tune and 4:10's, then forking out that kind of dough???

Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
kenholley2122

Default RE: SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...

i bought the paxton 2200 with meth kit $4600 shiped. 509hp on stock internals. theres a lot of people say im on borrowed time oh well. to install and a full custom tune with triple gauges. A/F, Boost, Fuel Pres.. Throttle Body and Spark Plugs. and shift lite came to $3500 $4600+$3500=$8100 ITs not cheep i wish i could tell you how it drives but i left back to Iraq the day before it was done.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenholley2122

i bought the paxton 2200 with meth kit $4600 shiped. 509hp on stock internals. theres a lot of people say im on borrowed time oh well. to install and a full custom tune with triple gauges. A/F, Boost, Fuel Pres.. Throttle Body and Spark Plugs. and shift lite came to $3500 $4600+$3500=$8100 ITs not cheep i wish i could tell you how it drives but i left back to Iraq the day before it was done.
Thanks for sharing...That sucks (under-statement) that you had to go back to Iraql...Anyway, come home safe and see what that baby will do...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

With the help of Underground Mustang, JDM, and various other net vendors, I got my Saleen, plugs, injectors, pulley, vac line kit, intake, filter, MAF for about $5000 shipped. I can't tell you if it's worth it, it's all up to you. If I had to do it again i would have skipped all my previous mods that I spent so much money for that i wound up ditching when i put on the blower. Like most, I did one mod at a time performance wise over the past 2-3 yrs, but in retrospect i was just prolonging the inevitable.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

With the help of Underground Mustang, JDM, and various other net vendors, I got my Saleen, plugs, injectors, pulley, vac line kit, intake, filter, MAF for about $5000 shipped. I can't tell you if it's worth it, it's all up to you. If I had to do it again i would have skipped all my previous mods that I spent so much money for that i wound up ditching when i put on the blower. Like most, I did one mod at a time performance wise over the past 2-3 yrs, but in retrospect i was just prolonging the inevitable.
So what was it like the first time you got on it with your new blower??? Was it everything you had hoped for. Were you like, "Damn!"???

I just LOVE the feeling of powerfull acceleration (as do we all). I don't have to go 100+ to enjoy my car, I just want more of that - put your *** back in the seat feeling - when you stomp it.Isthe difference like night and day -or- just a noticable improvement?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

As to whether it's worth it or not depends so much on your short and long-term goals. Also a lot depends upon your ability to do all or some of the work yourself. I am mechanically challenged so always have to useprofesssionals to install anything. I think my system cost in the 4.5K range and and 1 or 2K for install (can't remember, so much has been done since). If your goal is to get into the 11s or even 10s, you don't have a choice. You need to double the stock crank hp or thereabouts. There will also be major tractions issues.If you're goal is to have a fast daily driver, I don't know. I suspect that about 400 rwhp is plenty enough.You have a beautiful automobile (from the pic), would be a shame to cut into it like I have mine.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I have a Vortech H.O. set-up... hard to break out the cost as I had a bunch of mods done all at once... it also depends on which set up you get... centri generally cost a bit less than twin screws. IMO you need to budget between $6000-8000 for all parts and labor.

BTW - I love the power!!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

If you have to ask its not for you.I reccomend a nice little nitrous kit to satisfy your hunger.

but about 5-7k is what people are dishing out.

For that money Id get my bottom blockredone,slap new head gasket kit on strap on the 200hp jets. and give aSC stang the go. [8D]

Ok its early in the morning and im tired.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I think that many of us are technical able to fit a puffer bu it's not just the installation you have to consider. Forced induction is the best way to blow your motor, in a hurry, if it isn't setup correctly.The intake temperatures alone are elevated enough to nibble away at your inlet valves, and that's if you drive it 'normally' anddetonation (The tuners worst enemy) takes on a whole new meaning when you're running any motor closer to the limits.
That's why I chose to have my Whipple installed professionally.
I drove my stock GT into Alternative Auto and 2 days later drove out with it fully setup and functioning perfectly. All I had to do was hang around and video the dyno runs.

Another reason - My Whipple has decided to spring a small coolant leak. Something which would have occurred had I installed it myself, just one of those things. But in this case, Alternative are going to replace the inter-cooler core on warranty, no charge (of course). That kind of backup is worth the extra installation money alone.

I paid 7.5k for my setup, installed and dynoed --Whipple @ 11psi. 60lb injectors. Relocated Air temp sensor (Massively important), Full install. Full dyno session with custom tune (NOT Canned).

As for whether it's worth it or not, forensicsteveis spot on with the daily driver thing. Frankly, a CAI and good tune made my GT into a much more enjoyable toy but one which was still good for daily use. Now I have the Whipple, I frankly feel it would be somewhat tiresome to have to drive it every day through traffic etc which is why it's my Summer car. It's not that the car is more difficult to drive, not at all, but more the idea that the modification money was mis-spent. Also, in the rain? Forget it.... over 450RWHP is a waste of time and very nervy in the wet.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

The only thing about getting a blower is if you havejust enough money to afford it keep saving. There have been freak accidents of 3v 4.6engine blowing at 400 rwhp and you never know.

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG OWNERS, I HAVE A QUESTION...