Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topgear sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Topgear sucks

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Did you see the part where they track tested a V6 pony and said it was a GT? They don't even know what car they are driving!
yeah I remember that one.

"This 300 horsepower V8 GT cant even go around the track faster than a real horse"

"It doesn't even sound much like a real american V8"

and I was sitting there yelling ITS A DAMN V6!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

come on guys, these top gear dudes really LOVE the old muscle cars. they know that they have personality. im sure they have their wrong moments, but im also sure that most of the points they make are valid. totally different cars for totally different countries.

personally i think people need to stop getting offended at stupid things like dissing a car. the way they do it i think its all in good fun. times are a changin and the bad boy attitude has to go, learn to laugh things off!

besides, look at these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1OqMSQ7Lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cp0zYCPjqE
Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler
Don't start up about how much an M3 is compared to a Mustang because that wholebang-for-buck crap is the problem. If Ford decided to invest more money in the car tobring quality upand charge more for it, it might just start surprising people by becomming aclaimed and subsequently exported abroad which can only be good for the flagging US car industry.
Guess I'll be flamed and most likely ignored from now on here But let me reiterate my love for 'our' Mustangs. I love them despite their failings, of which there are plenty, which is basically what the Topgear team said.
Oh, IMHO, the GT500 is a fat slug which, in this case at least, is overpriced
The GT 500 is a fat slug? WRONG. It might be heavy but is neither of the claims you make on it. The $15000 is the dealer mark up and you are mistaken if you think that others don't do it as well. The Porsche Turbo S had about $50K in mark up....any special edition including the Z06 sells above sticker.
If Ford invested more it would be in everyones price range and an affordable car that we have come to love and enjoy. Think Firebird, Camaro, which GM put time and money into and what happened to them?This is one of thereason that Mustang has been around for close to 50 years is it affordabitlty and power that they offer for that money.
Yep Ford is having a hard time selling these cars over seas....yet another misinformed comment. They sell like crazy oh and they also get a dealer mark up.
You sound like a car snob and if it is that terrible of a car you can sell it and get a M3. BTW there should be a price comparision if you are going to compare cars....You can't compare the Ford GT to a G35 can you? So how can you compare an mid size luxury performace sedan (like the M3) to a Mustang GT? That is an ignorant statement (lacking knowledge). Two different markets price ranges and people buying that car. If you are going to compare the M3 to anything try it compared to the Terminator Cobra and then you close and still saving about $10K...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Oh, IMHO, the GT500 is a fat slug which, in this case at least, is overpriced

Let the flaming commence
Overpriced? lol............. $43,000 is overpriced for a car that is "comparable" to the $70,000 Zo6? Maybe you should get YOUR facts straight before you post.

Lol yeah its a slug, i cant seem to find a car that touches it for less than $60,000, but you're right, its a slug. LOL!
Given the type cars they prefer this is true. When the GT500 can turn in laps at the 'ring equal to the Z06 or GT3 they will sing its praises. Its just not the type car they prefer. BTW they seemed to truly like the Ford GT.

A base 2008 Corvette ($47,500) and a GT500 have roughly the same power to weight ratio with driver. 7.8 lb per bhp.

The GT500 makes slightly less power than a Z06 (440 rwhp compared to 460 rwhp) and out weighs it by 600 lb. The Z06 is also a more well rounded performance car.

As a dragstrip toy the GT500 has the most potential with relatively small mods. However that is for an entirely different market than Topgear caters to.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

That guy said vanishing point was the best chase scene ever in the first one and then he said Bullit was the best in the second. gosh, get your **** straight!!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

The Mustang is an AMERICANpony car. I was never intended for the Euro mindset.A Mustangcan be made into about anythingyou want it to be, try that with a euro.Sure, it doesn't utilize the latest technology, but that's what keeps it affordable, enabling a lot more folks to have some fun. The Mustang is what it is and the market it targeted seems happy with it so who cares what the euros think. JMO.