Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your image and your image when your in your car

Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Your image and your image when your in your car

Not sure what people think about me while I'm driving...but I don't think many care too much (at least where I'm from). I only drive a $30,000 car for god sakes. Maybe if it was a daily driven Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo it would be different.

Besides that, I've only gotten the impression that people like what Ford did with this car. I ALWAYS get compliments of how nice of a "Hot Rod" or "Muscle" car my ride is. I don't think older Mustangs would be categorized like that (except the old old ones). This is the MAIN reason I bought a Ford.....because they brought back the old school muscle car look I've dreamed of (I'm 26). Many people respect this car...poorOR rich.

Example for you...on Saturday night I was in aupscale townin Westchester NY going to meet some people for a few drinks. I pull up to a light and right next to me was a brand new Mercedes S class. 2 couples were in the car (late 40's) and one of the ladies says to me "wow...nice car." At first I was like huh?...because ifthey wanted to, they could just sell the Benz and get 5 Mustangs. Then I figured I say thanks because they seemed very sincere. She then says "can you rev her up for us please!" Now this totally caught me off guard because these people were dressed like they just got back from some fancy gala or something. Either way I said "sure" and gave them a nice long throaty rev. They were cheering like little school girls - it was soooo funny. The driver of the Benz said "thanks and be careful" and then I was on my merry way. For some reason I felt really cool after that...[sm=smiley9.gif]
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, it's a good subject this. While it's always easy and often inaccurate to generalize, I do go along with the Redneck Camaro and perhaps the 50+ year old in the Corvette. "Our" Mustang though, there's a question. I've seen kids driving them and I've seen an equal number of old guys (like me) driving them.Perhaps the car doesn't actually fall into a box as easy as other cars, at least not yet.
From my personal experience, I will say that most every GT I've seen had a Guy at the wheel and similarly most of the V6 Verts I've seen have been driven by Girls. Just an observation, don't get on me for it

While my wife could take-or-leave the Mustang, she knows it's my toy and hasn't really said anything about the 50k($can) I have in it or me being pigeon holed as a result of it. I do love it to bits but frankly probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd had to finance to pay for it, in my book, if you can't afford to buy/break it, you shouldn't have a toy. Maybe if I'd had to finance and look forward 4-5 years as a result, I'd have gotten something a little more special. Z06 ?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

I've had similar situations with BMW owners around where I live. Most of the females love the car.....the men don't say much. My wife says when she is out in my car she gets hit on by the "wrong" kind of guys......ROFLMAO......

I tell her to just show them she knows how to drive and enjoy the attention.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Who gives a rats **** how you're "percieved". You like the car? Thenenjoy it and screw everyone else and their perceptions and unsolicited opinions. Life's too short to be wasting your time and mental energy worrying about what others think of you. Be yourself, be nice to others, and have fun! Everything else will just fall in place.

And eliminate the word image form your vocabulary.
Its only a problem when the perception brings about something negative in your life. The part for me that was hard to get was the fact that I myself didn't see this side of it......but my wife did....thus the reason for the question. Its easy to say you don't care and don't waste you life worrying...blah blah blah.....but still it was a side of the coin I didn't think about....that was the point of the question.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

I'm sure people see me and think that i am a spoiled rich kid. My car isnt a GT but ive spent a lot of money on it. I work and have since i was 13. Once in awhile when i see people starring at me i say to myself" i bet they think im spoiled" Then i smile and drive off in my beautiful car. : )
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

All I can say is that on the second or third day that I had my car I was making a turn, with the top down, when I happened to look over and see a guy in a very nice Corvette C6 Convertible, also with the top down...and he gave me the big smile and thumbs up.

I, of course, politely smiled and waved back, thinking the whole time, "Wow, I guess this thing really does turn some heads."

For the record (i.e. sake of argument with the whole "image" thing), the Vette driver was probably in his 50s...I'm 25.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sccaii

Who gives a rats **** how you're "percieved". You like the car? Thenenjoy it and screw everyone else and their perceptions and unsolicited opinions. Life's too short to be wasting your time and mental energy worrying about what others think of you. Be yourself, be nice to others, and have fun! Everything else will just fall in place.

Its only a problem when the perception brings about something negative in your life. The part for me that was hard to get was the fact that I myself didn't see this side of it......but my wife did....thus the reason for the question. Its easy to say you don't care and don't waste you life worrying...blah blah blah.....but still it was a side of the coin I didn't think about....that was the point of the question.
Didn't mean to come across too harshly- sorry if I did. I certainly can understand your question, I justdon't see the need to give it a second thought. Whatever car you own, there will be people who assign you a category based on their perception. Mercedes,BMW etc = rich, pretentious. Mustang = redneck, macho. Honda, Toyota = boring, conservative. Point is, all of those perceptions are made by ignorant people with closed minds. So why bother caring about it? Your point about it not being a problem until it brings something negative to your life - well, unless you can get rid of ignorance, there's nothing you can do about it anyway, so again, why care? Life's full of jacka**es. Every now and then they impinge on your life and make it difficult. The trick is to give them as little attention as possible. You'll be happier.

Again, sorry if Icame across harshly. I guess I'm a bit passionate about the subject because I'm a doctor andI get sick of my collegues and "friends" wondering why I' didn't buy a BMW. I'm loving my GT, my wife knows it makes me happy, and really nothing else matters.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

At stop lights, people look at the car, and tell me how nice it is, or cool car. And yes the women. No one ever did that to me in my Acura CL 3.0
Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

yea dude, thats what the mustang is all about, man.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sccaii

I've had similar situations with BMW owners around where I live. Most of the females love the car.....the men don't say much. My wife says when she is out in my car she gets hit on by the "wrong" kind of guys......ROFLMAO......

I tell her to just show them she knows how to drive and enjoy the attention.
My wife says the same thing and I do not deserve my wife, shes AWSOME..
we just had are 24th wedding anniversary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your image and your image when your in your car