Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it so much money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why is it so much money?

ORIGINAL: PitbullPerformance

Generally the install for an 05 + is about $500 for long tubes and X-pipe. There is no need to lift the enigine out of the car for the install. Some places do charge more if they are not the headers that particular shop does not sell. Main reason for this is that there may be fitment issues. Most places have a set price for a specific set of headers because they already know exactly how long it will take to install and that there will be no issues .
Yes, they DID have to partially lift the engine to put in the headers!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
PitbullPerformance

They shouldn't have had to. With all the headers we have installed we have not once liftd the motor. It may be shop preference but its not necessary when done on a lift.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Sorry guys but this sounds about right for the labor rate and the hours. If your not comfortable with his rate check around at some other shops. That labor rate is very reasonable.

Richard
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Feng Houzi

blow up his shop!
I laughed at this....thank you.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Those headers look like Kooks. Technically they are a mid length, nota true LT but they function just as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Those headers look like Kooks. Technically they are a mid length, nota true LT but they function just as well.
I was going to say the same, they're definitely not LT's but they're not Shorties either....

As for the labor..if you're so "outraged" by the price, install them yourself. Then, while you're cursing in every language you know, then you can come to realize why the place wanted to charge you so much. A partial engine lift out of the bay is probably best on the GT because of the tight squeeze in those engine bays.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

Sounds reasonable if it is a reputable shop. I work for FMC, and the last set of longtubes we put on, I think we charged right at $500 @ $65/hour labor rate, this works out to 7.5 hours labor to install a full exhaust.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Do you have a sales tax? You dont have to raise the motor you can just drop the K-member. It took me and two buddys about 3-4 hours to do my LTs and o/r x-pipe. I dont know about performance shops but like dealerships have a guide for how many hours or labor to charge you but even if a 2 hour job takes the tech 30 minutes you are still paying the 2 hours.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

that seems a little steep but hes not ripping u off ALOT. just a little more expensive then most
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

There's a difference between being ripped off and just being expensive. This guy isdefinitely not ripping you off, but it is a premium. In general, I'm willing to pay extra if the place I'm dealing with is very reputable. That means that if I ever have a problem they stand behind their work and don't try to wiggle out of it.

You and friends could do it in an afternoon, but you just have to decide if it's worth the busted knuckles, etc.

Quick Reply: Why is it so much money?