Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions, im stuck $1600 ,5.0 or sixxer mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Need opinions, im stuck $1600 ,5.0 or sixxer mods?

ORIGINAL: 05Sixxer

I have been going back and forth with myself , thought alot about it, I can either purchase a very well kept up 91 5.0 ,black, 5-speed. Or I can dump 1600 dollars into a bone stock stang, 05 V6. CAI/TUNE, GT Rear Bumper with dual exhaust and other things. Opinions?
To the OP, you need to weigh your options. Do you (or will you) have the funds to put into modding the '91 GT? The Fox platform is a cheap way to go fast, but it still takes money. Also, do you have the time to devote to the project? Speaking from experience, I ended up selling my project car that I swore I'd never sell, because my priorities changed and I didn't have the time to devote to it. Now it is getting a proper restoration (a '28 Model A phaeton). Is the Fox running? It is easy to lose interest in a project if you cannot drive it for a while. Will it require repairs that are outside your area of expertise? So you should consider many things besidesmoney before taking on a project.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

1. We are all on the same team here
2. "the club" comment is complete bull ****, I'm a member of multiple clubs, the V6 hate exists on the internet for the most part, in real life, its few and far between. I get it sometimes at the track, but my local mustang club treats me the same as a V8 owner..even when I was bolt ons. It's usually a keyboard commando and/or a nearly bone stock V8 owner that puts down a modded 4 or 6 banger. usually. LOL.
3. I wish I kept my 5.0 LX, so I can have both my my 4.0 and a 5.0 in my garage. And IMO, the 5.0 is one of the best sounding engines around...but thats my opinion. Hell I miss my 4 banger stang. LOL.
4. Reread No. 1
5. Reread No. 2

C'mon folks, we are all on the same team here. The poster can't go wrong with both, but if he does get a 5.0 be prepared to do some build work on it since its an older car. Good point on insuring 2 cars.

Any other mustang bashing comments should be directected to the nearest brick wall.

Reread no. 1 folks. Geeze.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

There is no point in modding a v-6, at all. The money you saved from buying a v-6 you spend to make it as fast as a GT? what sense does that make? none.

I dont bash the sixxers because what they are is indeed a great car. For A) someone who doesnt not want a v-8 (gas, insurance, ect..) B) someone who does not want the power of a v-8 ("SOME" women, Young adults learning to drive, older people who has their share of fast cars, someone looking for a NICE car without the speed.
C) Someone on a budget who cannot afford a GT but wants a mustang............there are many more reasons to buy a sixxer, but making a fast car is not one of them.

Those ppl that s/c or turbo your six...thats great. Now you have a car with more money into it then a stock GT would cost, no resale value, and a 13 second car with NO room for improvement. COOL!
Wow. just wow.
Good thing Buick didn't listen to you when they came out with the Grand National!
I would love to line up with you on the track and show you a "13" second car that has "NO" room for improvement!
This threads are completely worthless, and frankly the mods here should know better and shut them down when they start escalating. This is the only forum I see this topic consistently get out of hand.
Honestly, at the track I never getthe "why didn't you get a GT" thing. It's all a brotherhood of TRUE auto enthusiasts there that support each other in their quests for better et's.
That is how it should be.
I respect all Mustangs. You gotta remember that whether it is a 4,6, or 8, itis someone's blood, sweat and tears into that car, something they are proud of, something that makes them part of the Mustang community and that should be welcomed, not bashed.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman
I respect all Mustangs. You gotta remember that whether it is a 4,6, or 8, itis someone's blood, sweat and tears into that car, something they are proud of, something that makes them part of the Mustang community and that should be welcomed, not bashed.
Well said Lance!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ hey Buckman I was wondering when you'd show up LOL...
...after looking at this guy's sig, a lot of opinions in this thread should change...

another thing I wanted to mention:
anyone who laughs at an s197 v6, but is ok with a 96-98 GT: these cars are within tenths of each other in the 1320...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

^^^ hey Buckman I was wondering when you'd show up LOL...
...after looking at this guy's sig, a lot of opinions in this thread should change...
+1

Well said Buck, I can never really get it out that way but that is what I meant....lol

We are all on the same team here
Thanks Todd every once ina while we need to remember that.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Buckman

Wow. just wow.
Good thing Buick didn't listen to you when they came out with the Grand National!
I would love to line up with you on the track and show you a "13" second car that has "NO" room for improvement!
This threads are completely worthless, and frankly the mods here should know better and shut them down when they start escalating. This is the only forum I see this topic consistently get out of hand.
Honestly, at the track I never getthe "why didn't you get a GT" thing. It's all a brotherhood of TRUE auto enthusiasts there that support each other in their quests for better et's.
That is how it should be.
Lance, it's a fine line to walk as a Moderator. I will never please EVERYONE, no matter how I respond to a thread like this. If I lock it or delete it, then I will be accused of being an e-****. If I let it go, then I'm not doing enough to control the "hate".

As I read the thread, there haven't been ANY posts that say the 4.0L's suck, but there have been 1 or 2 guys who state that they think it is a waste to mod a V6. That's their opinion, and I'm not here to censor opinions. It all comes down to respect. Rygen's post says it quite well - we all LOVE our Mustangs and it is dumb to bash other Mustangs regardless of the number of cylinders under the hood.

Again, it all comes down to RESPECT. A true Mustang enthusiast doesn't care what engine a car has cuz they love all Mustangs ('cept maybe for the II's, which I like). There are plenty of GOOD reasons to mod the 4.0L, and if others fail to see that, then THEY are the ones missing out.

I think the OP has gotten good feedback on his initial question, so [sm=lockeddance.gif]

Peace!