Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing Springs going on next week...do I HAVE to change anything else

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Springs going on next week...do I HAVE to change anything else

I've heard varying stories from changing out camber plates and other items to just switching out the springs.

I just want to do the springs...period

I realize the ride will be rougher...I'm experienced with H&R and Eibach set ups I've had on my BMWs but this didn't require anything other then the springs (I want a lowered look and a somewhat stiffer ride)
Can I just do the springs for that lowered look on my '07 Stang?
Thanks for the tips...can't wait
Also doing hood pins and stripes.

Better then any amusement park ride or drug...MODDING !
Jon
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Springs going on next week...do I HAVE to change anything else

You can just do the springs, but I would order and install the camber bolts at the same time. It's just a replacement bolt for the upper strut to spindle bolt that's smaller in diameter and offset to give you a couple of degrees of camber adjustment. Without that or camber plates there is no way to adjust camber on these cars.

You will have less traction if you don't add lower control arm relocation brackets, not a biggie if you don'trace and a bonus if you like to spin your tires.

Your pinion angle will change, but seeing as how ford used a 2 piece driveshaft with a CV joint at the pinion, it's not going to give you problems like it would if you had a 1 piece with Ujoints at each end (problems like vibrations, premature Ujoint wear). You would need to replace your upper control arm with an adjustable one to change the pinion angle. The change in pinion angle may rob some power, but I doubt you'd notice.

I have the ford springs with the stock shock and struts with no issues. You'll want to cut the rear bump stops that sit on top of the rear axle. They're pretty soft so a razor knife will cut them with ease.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Springs going on next week...do I HAVE to change anything else

+1 !!!

Many poeple will tell you that you need to do a bunch of stuff but the reality is that you don't HAVE to. As moose said, if you're just going for the look, springs and the camber bolts are all you really need.

Having said that, your rear end will be a little off center and you would need a panhard bar to correct that, drop brackets for lower control arms to get your traction back, adj control arms to right the pinion, etc but you don't HAVE to have them.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yes the rear will be off side to side a little. Mine wasn't even noticeable with the stock tires, but if you're trying to fit 10 inch rims with equivalently wide tires then you'll want the ability to adjust it even at stock height.

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

+1 !!!

Many poeple will tell you that you need to do a bunch of stuff but the reality is that you don't HAVE to. As moose said, if you're just going for the look, springs and the camber bolts are all you really need.

Having said that, your rear end will be a little off center and you would need a panhard bar to correct that, drop brackets for lower control arms to get your traction back, adj control arms to right the pinion, etc but you don't HAVE to have them.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

The two things you HAVE to do IMO are:

1) Get an alignment to correct the toe change from lowering. Yes, lowering alsocreates more neg. camber, but it'll only be around -1.5 which is a good thing (as long as you get the toe set correctly). I personally would not bother with the camber bolts.

2) Trim the rear snubbers. The FRPP springs lower the car enough so that you have barely an inch of travel before you hit the snubbers.

Once it's lowered, you can then check the postion of the rear axle. It will shift a bit towards the driver's side (maybe 1/4"), but with stock wheels/tires it's not really noticable. Not all cars are affected the same way here. Kind of depends onhow the rear end was positioned to begin with.

Dave Kegel
Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Thank you all...great feedback and just wanted I was looking for on this.

I'm just going for the more aggressive stance and look right now...I feel like I'm driving around with a lift kit compared to my BMW that's riding on an Eiback pro kit and Bilstein shocks.
Thanks for the advice..we'll just do the springs for now and I always get an alignment done whenever I mess with the suspensions.

I'll let you know how it works...can't wait
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

So now I'm think I should order these before I do the install next week...YES???

They're $29
Old 07-12-2007, 12:40 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

No pic? It's the Steedabolts

[IMG]local://upfiles/69471/3093EA240ACF4D65A54DDA396DD3E151.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Those bolts will work fine. I have the FRPP 1.5" lowering springs, I got them installed about a month ago and still haven't gone in for an alignment. It probably needs it and will get done eventually but right now I can barely tell the difference in ride quality.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Haze28...do you have any pics?

So you just did the springs? Nothing else?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Springs going on next week...do I HAVE to change anything else