Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embedded Water Spots - Glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
LilBluPony
2nd Gear Member

Default Embedded Water Spots - Glass

I have this god awful water spot on all my windows. Apparently, I didn't take care of him too well the first 6 or 7 months I had him and the sun must have baked the "hard" water at my house, into the glass. I've tried several methods to try and remove it. Even bought this high performance glass restorer and tried it last night and those freaking spots are still there. Looks hideous! Any ideas, other than replacing all 6 windows on how the heck to remove them? Has anyone used a buffing machine? HELP!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Embedded Water Spots - Glass

Try a claybar. You can pick one up at the local auto store.

ORIGINAL: LilBluPony

I have this god awful water spot on all my windows. Apparently, I didn't take care of him too well the first 6 or 7 months I had him and the sun must have baked the "hard" water at my house, into the glass. I've tried several methods to try and remove it. Even bought this high performance glass restorer and tried it last night and those freaking spots are still there. Looks hideous! Any ideas, other than replacing all 6 windows on how the heck to remove them? Has anyone used a buffing machine? HELP!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Get it at Wal-Mart - awesome for glass, but do not get it on any painted surfaces!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Perhaps you can try the Turtle Wax Clay Bar liquid. It's supposed to remove impurities from Clearcoat, so it may work on the glass.

Water spots are usually minerals from hard water or mild acid deposits from acid rain. Minerals can be treated with a treatment like CLR or a Lime and Calcium remover, however if the drops have "etched" the glass due to acid in the water, the glass is most likely permanently damaged.

The best way to prevent water spots is to garage your car. If that's not an option, a cover. Third, use plenty of wax on the Clearcoat, and a treatment like Rain-X on the glass. You want the water to fall off the car in sheets, not bead into drops that leave behind deposits.

Good luck.

UB10
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
LilBluPony
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. The water at our house was very hard and acidic. We now have a softener but that doesn't help the damage that is already done. Really irritates me. And yes, it is being covered while at home. I heard about the claybar. Maybe I'll try that before I get a buffer and try that. Ugh!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

CLAYBAR... I had spots on mine when I got it from the dealer. Claybar works AWESOME ON GLASS!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Steel wool, worked like a charm for me in the past with hard water spots baked on glass. I think I used glass cleaner to lubricate.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Good old newspaper and vinegar.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 AM
2006_BLACK_GT
1st Gear Member

I have horribly hard water which caused some pretty bad spots all over my car. Clay bar did not work at all and neither did vinegar, the only solution was a buffer. I use Griots Garage stuff and they make a polish just for glass. Works great. You can use the polish by hand, but I would recommend buying the buffer since you will get a lot of use out of it for waxing and polishing the rest of your car. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

+1 on the buffer...You took the words out of my mouth..^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Embedded Water Spots - Glass