Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering questions...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Default lowering questions...need advice

OKI now there are threads about this but I dont know what to do.
Want to lower my stang with springs. Just dont know if I can do it with just springs and be ok. Im not familiar with the under of thecar except the basics, so now yall know. hahaTried to look up the thingsI read about theUCA , LCA andwhatever the other letters are and the brackets and this and that and shocks. I just dont want to put that kind of money in it right now. So what do yall think about my situation. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: lowering questions...need advice

how much of a drop r u looking for?

if your going for more then 1.25" or so the UCA/LCA (upper control arms/lower control arms) and re-location brackets are a good mod to do at the same time. they are not mandatory.

I did springs first then the rear suspension....but I have a high HP car and needed the help for traction. If your stock then IMO you can get away wiht just the springs to start... the more of a drop and the more important the supporting mods will be...

read this....

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

very informative
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Want to get the Eibach Pro Kit. Also, what do yall think is a good price to pay to install at a shop?
Sure I'll be able to tell a difference. I'm more interested in the look of it. Not gonna be racing it for times so thats why I'm not sure if its ok to just do springs.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

Here it is, short and sweet. Buy eibach prokit lowering springs and tokico adjustable struts. Buy them together so you'll only have one installation cost. Then you have to have the front end aligned. When you do this you'll have to have adjustable camber bolts (you buy these I think they're about $12. If the repair shop provides them they'll charge you around $45.) Using the eibach prokits lowers your stang about 1 to 11/4 inch. For this distance you do not need LCA (lower control arms) or UCA (upper control arms).
Some don't change out the stock struts(shocks), but this is a mistake; the stock struts will not give you the ride you now have ( the tokicos can be adjusted for the ride you like). PS. check the forum for how many stang owners have the eibach prokits and the tokico struts and you'll see what works.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3525396/tm.htm

Yes it is OK to do just springs. Read the above thread. No it is not the "proper" thing to do but just for looks, it's fine.

Shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours for a shop to do just springs so whatever their labor is x3 is max you should pay.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

I made the mistake of thinking doing the springs would be enough. Then when I found out the ride went to h---, I went back and added the tokico struts. So, the shop charged me $150 for each install; that's why I say do both at one time. Probably run around $150.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: sandy

I made the mistake of thinking doing the springs would be enough. Then when I found out the ride went to h---, I went back and added the tokico struts. So, the shop charged me $150 for each install; that's why I say do both at one time. Probably run around $150.

I noticed no real difference in ride once I lowered the car and kept the stock shocks..... where I did notice a difference was when I changed my rear tires to a lower profile...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I just did the Pro Kit only. I'm saving for the Tokico's. The ride is not ideal on the stock struts but it's something I can live with for a while
Old 07-13-2007, 02:27 PM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

I literally just drove my car home from the shop where I had all the suspension mods in my sig installed. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I think it's better to stockpile the essential parts over time and have 'em all put in at once than to keep going back to the shop and paying for labor.

If I were you, I would atleast do the springs, adjustable lcas and panhard bar and shocks all at once. Just my $0.02...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I the Eibach Kit and Tokico D Specs installed yesterday. Saved a lot on labor. The Tokicos comewith a hard setting. I just adjusted themfor semi street until I go to the track.

Quick Reply: lowering questions...need advice