Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed of Sound (SOS) switch plate install (w/pics & vid)

Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Default Speed of Sound (SOS) switch plate install (w/pics & vid)

I made the decision to swap out my Shaker 500 head unit with the latest Alpine DVD unit and also add a rear camera and a shift light. I wanted to be able to switch on/off the TR-7 video bypass, rear camera, and the Raptor shift light. I could have opted for some cheap toggles (which would’ve looked tacky), but instead found an awesome looking switch plate made by Speed of Sound.

I ordered the 4 toggle switch layout with a 2 1/16” gauge opening for no particular reason other than I really like this layout. I chose an Auto Meter Ultra-Lite II Voltmeter gauge and it fit the bill perfectly.

The SOS switch plate comes pre-wired with leads for easy connections. According to SOS, the switches and wires are sufficient for low-amperage (up to 15 amps maximum) applications. Any high-amperage applications will require heavier gauge wiring and relays.

Each switch has 3 prongs and typically get wired this way…
BLACK – Connected to common vehicle ground (used to illuminate the switch’s LED)
RED (center) – Connected to either a constant 12V or switched 12V depending on your application
RED (opposite end on black) – Connected to accessory circuit 12V in (In my case, Positive lead on Raptor, rear camera, and voltmeter)

Note: The Negative leads off the accessories get grounded to a common ground, NOT TO THE NEGATIVE LEAD ON THE SWITCH!

Switch panel

Auto Meter gauge

A Dremel was used to make a small hole in the bottom of the rear cup holder (after removal of the short cup base; pulls right out) to feed all the wires up to the switch panel.

My mess

The wiring can get a bit confusing so it may be a good idea to tape off each accessory and label it. Key here is to take your time and do one wire at a time.
Tip: To make soldering, heat shrinking, or wire twisting task easier, disconnect the spade terminal from the switch.

Each switch controls the Raptor shift light, rear camera, DVD video bypass, and the voltmeter.

Here are some pics and one video of the completed project.

Note: The reason why you don’t see the ‘DVD’ LED switch illuminated is because the video bypass circuit that the switch interrupts is less than 12V (or is momentary). I removed the Negative terminal off this switch since it isn’t needed.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Speed of Sound (SOS) switch plate install (w/pics & vid)

Wow thats cool as fu*k!!!!!! I want that! How much did it all cost you for that SOS thing the player and the rear camera? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

dang, thats cool, nice
Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

Wow thats cool as fu*k!!!!!! I want that! How much did it all cost you for that SOS thing the player and the rear camera? If you don't mind me asking.
Thanks! The SOS switch panel is what makes it allcool!

The switch panel can be ordered directlyfrom SOS (see hyperlink in post 1). The rear cam I got off ebay, it's the Lorex SG4933R waterproof color camera, costs around $100. The Alpine model is the IVA-W205, a friend over at Alpine used his employee discount and hooked me up. [8D]
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Awesome, I guess you don't drink coffee or soda
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

^^^hmm mybe i should get one so my mom stops drinking tea in my car!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TinPony

Awesome, I guess you don't drink coffee or soda
I do, but not in the car (only bottled water allowed!).

To be honest, I rarely used the cupholders anyway, so I don't miss them at all.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

More flash than function IMO.
Wow! I'm getting slammed so early in the morning! [sm=lol.gif]

Not that I have to explain myself... but yes, I did use a few of those quick splices, and 2 crimp caps, but everything else is shrink tubed. Behind the stereo, all my power and ground wires, and voltage regulator are soldered and heat shrinked.
Could I have made all my electrical connections aircraft quality? Sure I could have. But I'm pretty sure I'll be fine the way it's all connected.

I have the voltmeter hooked up to the switch simply because I had 1 extra switch available. Sure, I could have ordered the 3 switch configuration, but I just liked the look of the 4 better. And since I couldn't think of anything to hook up to the 4th switch, I just went with a simple voltmeter. It's trivial more than anything, but it is more accurate than the +/- gauge in the dash.

btw, that poor soul that'll inherit my jalopy will be my son. [8D]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

157..its time we see your car...

Show us all we are missing...

Well done Taco Bill..you rock..[sm=hail.gif]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: 157db

More flash than function IMO.
I did use a few of those quick splices, and 2 crimp caps, but everything else is shrink tubed. Behind the stereo, all my power and ground wires, and voltage regulator are soldered and heat shrinked.
Would that be two stage Ford heatshrink or the lamo stuff
you can get at Auto-Zone?[:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speed of Sound (SOS) switch plate install (w/pics & vid)