Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why cant someone install their own cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Why cant someone install their own cams?

Since the cams are located right under the cam covers... which are easily accessible in our cars... whats the catch for someone who figures they'll install their own cams?

Seriously now.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why cant someone install their own cams?

As long as you mark the timing chain and sprocket (to make sure you dont get it a tooth off) and use a tool to keep the chain from dropping down in the front cover its not that hard. If you want to change springs (Highly Suggested!) you will need to get a specialtool for removing the locks/retainers, a compressor and to fab upaconnection using an old sparkplug and somemetal tubing so you can pressurise the cylinders. This isto avoid the valves dropping into the cylinder while changing the springs.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It's a fairly major job and not one I would suggest anybody inexperienced should go near. Not the toughest job in the world but a long way from the easiest. Your back would kill you leaning over the fender for hours on end as well LOL
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you can always try it but dont come to us when you ****ed your entire motor up.....some things (cams, gears, clutch etc) should be left for the pros. The problems that could occur if done incorrectly can be major and require big bucks to fix. Are the gains really worth that kind of a risk...to some yes but being that I make a decent amount of money and the car is my DD....i will let some things be and haev them done right.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

If it didnt come through in my first post the cams are the easy part. The valve springs are the tough part. Not sure on the 2005+ but on the SN95's if you drop one of the valves you have to pull the engine to get the head off.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Since the cams are located right under the cam covers... which are easily accessible in our cars... whats the catch for someone who figures they'll install their own cams?

Seriously now.
Seriously, I wouldn't do it unless you're very experienced under the hood, have lots of cool tools, and an extra car!

If it's just about saving money, then it's not worth attempting, but if you enjoyto that sort of work, have an extra car to get you to work, are able to take your time, then why not. BTW the extra car is so that you don't feel like the weekend clock is ticking and you HAVE to have it all back together by Monday. Things can snowball in a bad way if you start feeling rushed.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I could have sworn that there was an installation article in one of the Mustang mags within the past year or so... couldn't find it when doing a brief search of my back issues' covers.
Anyone?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

My buddy did his own cams on his camaro ss and the car hasnt been right since, hes had a number of problems and it is just not right, we took it out after he did it and it sounded good but there was a great deal of clanking and banging under WOT and it noticably lost a lot of performance.

But i did meet a guy who installed his own cams but his son helped him and his son had access to a shop with the proper equipment.

If your very confident in your mechanical skills and have the right tools go ahead but personally i dont know enough and allow i think i might be able to do it , i have invested a lot of money in this car and want it done right. Same thing with a supercharger i have read various directions on many systems and they seem fairly simple but when investing 6 grand in something , mines well invest another few grand to make sure its done right
Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I'm not confident! I would have to do a ton of research before I attempted it.

I was just asking this because I wondered if there was a hardcore thing that causes no one to do it (Like dropping the tranny when it can't even fit under the car to be removed due to using ramps and jack stands)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I haven't done it on a stang but on a 3kgt with a a total of 5 pulleys (4 cams and a crank) it was a b#%@. Took me about 3 hours just to allign them the way they are supposed to be because every time I'd put the belt on and everything looked fineI'd realize that somehow crankwent 10 degrees off. I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier with a timing chain (plus you dont have to mess with 5 pulleys), the main thing is make sure ur gears are the way they were. if you make a mistake, you'll have to take the whole head apart and replace the valves that got bent by the pistons.

Quick Reply: Why cant someone install their own cams?