MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Engine Light... car randomly jolts/stutters (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/318949-engine-light-car-randomly-jolts-stutters.html)

gburke1 07-17-2007 10:39 PM

Engine Light... car randomly jolts/stutters

Hey everyone,
A few days ago my engine light came on. I thought maybe the gas cap was loose again or something minor. Now I am not so sure though... every once and a while I will feel a jolt when I am driving the car and the RPM's go up and down a little bit. I am not sure what's wrong... anyone know? I am probably taking it into the dealership tomorrow.

If it helps it's an '06 Automatic GT Vert

Thanks,
Garrett

hammeron 07-17-2007 10:45 PM

RE: Engine Light... car randomly jolts/stutters

hard to say, but it could be the fuel pump TSB
-
hesitation after cruise
-
something maybe to look up, to see if it fits what your
experiencing

06GT4RAD 07-18-2007 10:09 AM

Sounds like a COP begining to fail or maybe even a Throttle body TPS Sensor.

Richard

BimmerTang 07-18-2007 10:38 AM

More specifics please...
Is this happening when you're driving at a constant speed, when you're pulling out from a red light or stop sign, at 70 miles an hour?
Is it a manual or automatic?

The car's not "stalling" or lugging in gearbecause of a lazy clutch foot or wrong gear? :D

JoshyGT 07-18-2007 10:55 AM

I've had this type of thing happen to where the car almost completely stalled. It can be many things, but either way... the car is struggling to stay running. I suggest checking these items:

1) Battery, do a test and run a full charge.
2) Air Flow Sensor
3) Alternator

These are the basic's I would start with. Either way, the dealership will know whats best. :)

jrm1900 07-18-2007 11:53 AM

It could be a number of things but it is hard to tell with the posted info, can you read the code #? At any rate the dealed must be able to pinpoint the problem.

gburke1 07-18-2007 10:13 PM

The only other thing I could really tell you is that it seems to happen when I am driving at a constant speed and the car is an automatic. Today I did not have time to take it up to the dealership but I did make an appointment for tomorrow morning. Weird thing is today right after I made the appointment and left the dealership, the light turned off... it turned back on a few hours later though. I don't have a tuner so I don't think I can get the code #.

MantaDreams 07-19-2007 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: gburke1

The only other thing I could really tell you is that it seems to happen when I am driving at a constant speed and the car is an automatic. Today I did not have time to take it up to the dealership but I did make an appointment for tomorrow morning. Weird thing is today right after I made the appointment and left the dealership, the light turned off... it turned back on a few hours later though. I don't have a tuner so I don't think I can get the code #.
u can get a code reader for $70-$80, if you just want that knowledge going into a shop. they sell em at walmart for crissake

gburke1 07-19-2007 08:59 AM

The dealership verdict: bad alternator ... so now I am just waiting for them to get the part from another dealership and fix it.

JoshyGT 07-19-2007 09:17 AM

Sorry about the repair you have to make. But I was glad I was on the right track with my prediction! :)

About code readers.... don't buy one. At any Discount Auto Parts / AutoZone / Wal-Mart they can read the code for you for free.