Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Emissions Inspection and Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default Virginia Emissions Inspection and Tunes

Got a quick question,
I got a Tune with my JLT II CAI and later added CMDP & 4.10 Gears. well, the Car is now 2 years old and in virginia you need to get an Emissions inspections every 2 years, well I have been trying and with no success. the Report shows the Cats, O2 and Ho2 Sensors Not Ready.
and I was wondering if the Doug, Brent, Fred, Justin Tunes just turn off the O2 sensors to retune the car?

Now I can't go Back to Stock Tune because of the CMDP I will get a CEL. any suggestions or Ideas?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Virginia Emissions Inspection and Tunes

Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Here goes.....I am a Service Manager at the largest non-dealer inspection station in the state. The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality just restructured the emissions program effective 10/1/05.

All vehicles year 1996 and newer are no longer run on a dynomometer to have actual emissions readings taken at the tailpipe. The test is run solely through the car's computer (OBD II). The exception to this is on certain occasions, the emissions computer will require certain 1996 and newer vehicles to run a dyno test.

The car being tested will pass the Virginia Emissions test as long as:

1.The car's MIL/CEL/SES light does not stay on with the engine running.
2.The car's MIL/CEL/SES light comes on with the ignition on/engine off verifying proper operation of the light.
3.The emissions computer can communicate with the car's on board computer.
4.There are no stored fault codes in the car's on board computer.

(MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp, CEL = Check Engine Light, SES = Service Engine Soon)

The X-factor in all this is if your car has had recent computer-related work where the MIL/CEL/SES has been reset or if the battery has recently lost power. If any of that has occurred, the car's computer will need to go through a set of drive cycles to reset all of the monitors and give it time to verify that there are no other problems.

It seems like a lot, but it's falling into place rather well. Some glitches, but not too bad.

As far as the tune disableing monitors, I don't think that's possible, so it shouldn't come into play. The tuning gods would be able to answer that better.

Sorry I got a little longwinded.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. No problem answering them, at all!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

I first went to Goodyear and since I just got back from the track, I flashed the computer with my street tune.
the guy told me to drive for 100 miles and have it retested, well I drove for 280 miles and went back and I got the same results

The report states the the OBDII Monitor Readiness Status - Catalyst "Not Ready" O2 Sensor "Not Ready" and Ho2 "Not Ready" all other tests are ready except EGR, Sec Air, A/C and Heated Cats are Unsupported.
I have no Check engine Lights, no warning lights and the car runs great.
[/align]
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I was under the impression that only certain counties in VA required the emission testing?

Earl
Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

I think it used to be that way a few years ago, I live in Prince William County it's outside of DC.
First it was the Car Tax, then the Civil Fines now the Emissions and they are raising the Registration fees for cars
Well People Voted for Change Last November and they got it.. I knew the Kaine was a Tax and Spender but wow
he takes the cake.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Yes.... the 02 sensors and cat sensor are turned off in the tune. That is what I was told. For me to pass Va.emissions I had to return the car to stockwith stock tune and cats. Drive for 50 to 100 miles. It is best to put themiles on in 3 or 4 starts and shut downs. This will give the sensors a chance to clear and reset.
Or buy a set of MIL elimanators. They plug in betweenfactory sensor and wire harness. Suppose to give good code signal at all times. Do search on google for MIL elimanator 2005 Mustang.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Why do the Tunes do this? and how do you fix thisin my Case where I have Charge Motion Deletes, which will require me to remove my intake plenum every two years for emissions inspection, and return everything to stock, that sucks.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I have lived in Va all my and never did an emissions test.... I lived in Hampton Roads then moved to Charlottesville for college, and now I work here... is it just certain counties? Richmond and DC? I have never heard of this....
Old 07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: washburn085

Wow, I have lived in Va all my and never did an emissions test.... I lived in Hampton Roads then moved to Charlottesville for college, and now I work here... is it just certain counties? Richmond and DC? I have never heard of this....
Wait, wait, you went to UVa and you DON'T drive a BMW?! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Only select counties in Northern VA have emissions tests in our state. You're OK for now, but you never know about the future. Who could have predicted the $1,000 speeding tickets we have now?

I know that my Steeda intake is CARB approved and California is the worst, so if it will pass there it will pass anywhere.

Quick Reply: Virginia Emissions Inspection and Tunes