Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Mustang driver -- few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Timitar

Default Future Mustang driver -- few questions...

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing these forums for quite a while now and I have to say it's a great Mustang soapbox and i'm glad i'll soon be buying one! Anyway, I have a few quesitons for you guys:

1. Being that i'm 17 years old, a car likea Mustang will no doubt bring killer insurance with it. I've heard that I would just put it under my mom or dad's name and get much better rates -- can I?

2. The model i'm looking at is a Redfire GT convertible (parchment brown top & seats). I'll definintely be modding this baby and was looking at some body kits and I came across this one http://www.bodykits.com/v2/xcart/pro...-body-kit.html. I couldn't find anything that said it wouldn;t fit a convertible, but do any of you think otherwise? On the same note, how do you think that kit would look on a red convertible? Not too ricey right?

3. I remember reading a post where the guy said he was a bit disappointed with his stang and could hardly get his wheels to screech, but then he cought some kit and it was a completely different car -- anyone know what i'm talking about? If so, what did he buy? It was like a CS/CT kit or something?

4. Superchargers -- they're mad expensive and I wouldn't save up for one unless it would make me cream my pants with its performance. I know it increases HP, but is it by a lot? I will be racing my car, so the faster the better.....

5. I don't know if any of you drift your cars but that's another thing i'll be doing (dangerous, I know I know) -- for those that know what it is, I need some help. Would getting an ABS system void the ability to do that? And are certain tires better for it than others? Obviously less traction helps but I don't want tires with such a lack of traction that i'm sliding between lanes on the highway....

EDIT (forgot to add these in):

6. This doesn't really have to do with performance, but have any of you ever seen muscle cars that rev and flames come out of the back? Is there a kit that does this or are they just insanely powerful?

7. I probably won't get nitrous systems for a while (I don't trust myself with them yet lol), but I might as well ask now. Is there a difference between the different systems? This Venom stuff is apparently electronically operated or something, what does that mean? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...rformance.html

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Future Mustang driver -- few questions...

um, I'll take one of these...I'd say the s/c's should shave you down to at least a mid 12 with good driving, depending on the type of s/c, psi, etc...that being said, these engines are "safe rated" at about 420 hp due to cast rotating assembly, the trans is good for about 360-390 ft/lbs, so I'd go at least forged internals before the FI (maybe clutch and trans upgrade also) unless you're the type of person who can watch stuff break, get out your wallet and replace it without batting an eye...
but on the happy side of that, with some good driving you can achieve the same 1320 timeslip with a good bolt-on combo, like CAI/tuner + gears + tires + control arms...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 PM
_Zewp_

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Maverick9110E
2nd Gear Member

[sm=outcold.gif][sm=sigh.gif][sm=sigh.gif]
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timitar

1. Being that i'm 17 years old, a car likea Mustang will no doubt bring killer insurance with it. I've heard that I would just put it under my mom or dad's name and get much better rates -- can I?

A- Your insurance for a GT will be through the roof, the only way you can even get an affordable rate is to go under your parents. But trust me, ever dollar spent is worth it!

2. The model i'm looking at is a Redfire GT convertible (parchment brown top & seats). I'll definintely be modding this baby and was looking at some body kits and I came across this one http://www.bodykits.com/v2/xcart/pro...-body-kit.html. I couldn't find anything that said it wouldn;t fit a convertible, but do any of you think otherwise? On the same note, how do you think that kit would look on a red convertible? Not too ricey right?

A- I like this body kit, very aggressive and thinking of adding it to my ride. In fact, I just saw it on a red convertible coming home from work today and it looks nasty! (nasty in a good way, a really good way!)

3. I remember reading a post where the guy said he was a bit disappointed with his stang and could hardly get his wheels to screech, but then he cought some kit and it was a completely different car -- anyone know what i'm talking about? If so, what did he buy? It was like a CS/CT kit or something?

A- He got a CAI/Tune from brenspeed.com I believe, but if you take the traction control off (tap of a button) you will screch your tires all day long, you justhave to know how to do it... it's not hard! PS- Be careful with that TAC off!

4. Superchargers -- they're mad expensive and I wouldn't save up for one unless it would make me cream my pants with its performance. I know it increases HP, but is it by a lot? I will be racing my car, so the faster the better.....

A- I would go with Ford Racing for a supercharger, and have Ford install it... I don't believe this voids your warrenty and the setup is made PERFECTLY for your engine. If you don't care about warrenty, Vortech always has nice packages.

5. I don't know if any of you drift your cars but that's another thing i'll be doing (dangerous, I know I know) -- for those that know what it is, I need some help. Would getting an ABS system void the ability to do that? And are certain tires better for it than others? Obviously less traction helps but I don't want tires with such a lack of traction that i'm sliding between lanes on the highway....

A- Keep the TAC off when attempting to drift or it will stop it in the middle and end up being a fish-tail. With the TAC on while normal driving you are perfectly safe, just watch the gas in the rain.

6. This doesn't really have to do with performance, but have any of you ever seen muscle cars that rev and flames come out of the back? Is there a kit that does this or are they just insanely powerful?

A- I think it is a NOS setup that does the flames... not sure though. I personally don't like putting NOS in a muscle car.

7. I probably won't get nitrous systems for a while (I don't trust myself with them yet lol), but I might as well ask now. Is there a difference between the different systems? This Venom stuff is apparently electronically operated or something, what does that mean? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...rformance.html

A- I have no idea lol!
Question - Does your family own a gold mine or are these plans for the future and distant future? lol
Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Timitar

ORIGINAL: JoshyGT

ORIGINAL: Timitar

A- Your insurance for a GT will be through the roof, the only way you can even get an affordable rate is to go under your parents. But trust me, ever dollar spent is worth it!

A- I like this body kit, very aggressive and thinking of adding it to my ride. In fact, I just saw it on a red convertible coming home from work today and it looks nasty! (nasty in a good way, a really good way!)

A- He got a CAI/Tune from brenspeed.com I believe, but if you take the traction control off (tap of a button) you will screch your tires all day long, you justhave to know how to do it... it's not hard! PS- Be careful with that TAC off!

A- I would go with Ford Racing for a supercharger, and have Ford install it... I don't believe this voids your warrenty and the setup is made PERFECTLY for your engine. If you don't care about warrenty, Vortech always has nice packages.

A- Keep the TAC off when attempting to drift or it will stop it in the middle and end up being a fish-tail. With the TAC on while normal driving you are perfectly safe, just watch the gas in the rain.

A- I think it is a NOS setup that does the flames... not sure though. I personally don't like putting NOS in a muscle car.

A- I have no idea lol!
Question - Does your family own a gold mine or are these plans for the future and distant future? lol
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I definitely won't be getting some of these for a while, the body kit alone will cost me a pretty penny, so we'll see after that.

And what's with the other replies? Thanks for the laugh?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

ifyour seriously planing on racing it I would get the coupe one time flipping the BlTCH and dead(I don't want to see or hear about any of my fellow mfers dying.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Timitar

ORIGINAL: Fizzie06

ifyour seriously planing on racing it I would get the coupe one time flipping the BlTCH and dead(I don't want to see or hear about any of my fellow mfers dying.
Thanks for the concern, but I wasn't talking about hardcore racing, just street racing with friends and on highways. You bring up a good point about the soft top though, I actually had never thought about that. I just want to make sure I can smoke my friends (2 w/ stock Mustang GT, one w/ supercharged 350z, one w/ new BMW 3 series)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM
_Zewp_

Just get a civic, throw a wing on there and some flame decals and you're good to go.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Hummmmmm
17 year old and a 300 hp GT.
What’s your name and address, I want to buy some life insurance on you. I'll be rich.

Put the car in your mothers name, Unless you tell them your driving it, or if they ask how many drivers in the household. If you don't tell them and they don't ask, Your covered under your mothers insurance, cause she can let anyone driveher car and the car is insured like she was driving it. Now, If you tell them your driving the car, Insurancerate will be threw the roof,or if they ask and you lie. That would be insurance fraud.

Quick Reply: Future Mustang driver -- few questions...