Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much are painted stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:26 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How much are painted stripes?

Yeah man that would begreat if you could sent me the info on prepping the mirrors. thanks!

and im pretty sureI wont be getting painted stripes unless my parents pay for them (andI would lay money on it that they wont)

I probably will just get the side louvers and scoops and get the two plus my mirros painted at the same time.

I might go for the vinyl, i'll just have to see. The thing I dont like about vinyl is it wont go on my hood scoop and it wont go in the license plate area.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

A response I had sent before: Let me know if any questions: (guy was thinking he needed a sec set of mirrors)
Don't think you need an extra set of mirrors; once yours are prepped you can put them back on in 10 mins and use them until the day the shop needs them. Just bring them to the shop, no need to leave the car; you can drive w/o mirrors for a couple days if you need to, right?
Interior plastic covers come off pretty easily. Make sure you put a cloth down in the door gap below the mirrors; the 3 nuts come off the bolts no problem but it would take nothing to drop one down in your door. Now you're laying awake nights.
Mask off the glass; don't want to scratch it. Mask the back with printer paper and masking tape; put as little tape in contact with soft rubber backing foam as possible. (It will ruin it upon removal)
Sanding: Start with 60, then 80, then 100, then 150 all dry. Just buy a variety pack. Then 220, then 320 wet. Make sure you sand in the narrow area around the glass; the mirror will push in as you go around; this area is already smooth so it only needs the 220, 320 wet treatment. (A little dish detergent in the water when you wet sand)
Check thoroughly in bright light for any missed areas; they are your responsiblity.
Dry, clean thoroughly, isoprphyl alcohol works well.
Adhesion Promoter: Bulldog; they make an aerosol; get this at an autobody supply. Use black if you have a dark color car; grey if light. Two medium wet coats, 15 mins apart (you can follow the can directions as well) If you get a run don't worry; it will sand out. Next day wetsand with 400; (220 on any run(s) first); put them back on your car until shop is ready.
They are ready for the shop to do prime, base and clear. The closer you have them ready to the date you bring them to the shop the better; the adhesion promoter will still be a bit green. (not yet fully cured)
Honestly the average person can do this and will have probably more patience than a guy at the shop; I really wonder if even a quality shop can afford to be this careful/thorough on a small and rather unusual job for them. Good luck, let me know if you need any additional info.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Prep them and have them painted! I prepped then painted them myself! I love the new look.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Gift4Hubby

I'm trying to surprise my husband with stripes on his Vista Blue 07. My quote is $1600. I went with a local bodyshop that was voted #1 in our town.

Make sure they are going to take your car apart and sand all those places that will be painted, including all the grooves and around the edges, such as around the windshield. They are clear coating it also and the owner told me I probably won't be able to even feel the stripe!

Have you picked out a color? I am having a horrible time picking the right color. We want something not so obvious. So far I have spent $60 buying those little bottles of paint for repairing chips. Its a lot harder than I thought!
If my wife suprised me with stripes and they were not up to my standards
or not what I wanted, wifey would be buying me a new Vista Blue 07
and she would be the new owner of a Vista Blue 07 with sub-par stripes.
Stay away from suprise mods to his stang unless you have him whipped
or you paid for the 07 in the first place. Bad Bad Idea. Buy him a tie.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

Yeah man that would begreat if you could sent me the info on prepping the mirrors. thanks!

and im pretty sureI wont be getting painted stripes unless my parents pay for them (andI would lay money on it that they wont)

I probably will just get the side louvers and scoops and get the two plus my mirros painted at the same time.

I might go for the vinyl, i'll just have to see. The thing I dont like about vinyl is it wont go on my hood scoop and it wont go in the license plate area.
Key words here being "parents paid". Must be nice.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have painted Satin Silver Metallic stripes and they are worth it. Now I am not saying that because I had them done and yes they are costly that you should not get them but I in hindsight (being 20/20) I would have gotten performance mods done. I would still have gotten the stripes done after though so in my situation it really doesn't matter. I feel stripes make it look faster (though it is not) and 100 times better than the best laid vinyl (esp at shows) sorry to all vinyl guys it just was not for me and yes they do look good when on the road or from say 10 ft. I love that theyare cleared and have no edges. Though they are common online (even the painted ones) I'll betthey are not commonin your area-as I have not seen many painted stripes in the Detroit area on the S197's. JMO but go for it. My cost was a bit more than 2000 dollars but I helped the guy and had the whole Cervinis kit done and painted and the car (the top) re-cleared. Hope it helps and the pics dont do it justice.
ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 PM
HDFINDER47
1st Gear Member

Modified tungston (added purple metallic) 11-1/2" stripes with 1/4" pins on Alloy Metallic '07 vert was $850 at a good shop. Estimates ranged from $4200 at the Ford dealer body shop to $350 for a "home garage" job by a winehead. A better shop than the one I went with wanted $2500 but for $850 I got what I consider a very good quality job for a reasonable price.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM
marklines

I was going to have the decal stripes put on my new 2007 GT for a total of $500 ($300 for the stripes and $200 for the labor). these stripes would be on the hood, roof , and trunk only.
I found a shop that will paint and clear coat the stipes from bumper to bumper with a color that matches my wheels ( metalic silver ) for only $1100. They do mustangs stripes for most of the Ford dealerships here in the metro and their work is like factory.
It was a no-brainer, for me, to put $600 more into my investment than be stuck with decals for just under half the price of paint.
This will also make a difference whenone decides to sell or tradetheir vehicle in the future.

Just wanted to give some input, and after reading this thread it looks like your decision is to save a little more and get the painted version. good for you. enjoy!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
nh3
2nd Gear Member

Fairlane, Why the top surface of the fenders and quarters?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Maddog52
1st Gear Member

This has been a good read, I recently installed the vinyl but I'm not real happy with it. After seeing how much painted stripes cost, I may just skip the stripes period.