Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Sorry...but...what is a spydershaft?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

I plan to order mine this month and a phrase caught me off guard in the post. Will the one piece change the RPMs my car runs at. Right now with my 4:10s at 80mph I'm around 2800 RPM's will this mod increase or decrease my RPM's at that speed????
Old 07-21-2007, 09:50 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTJUNKIE

I plan to order mine this month and a phrase caught me off guard in the post. Will the one piece change the RPMs my car runs at. Right now with my 4:10s at 80mph I'm around 2800 RPM's will this mod increase or decrease my RPM's at that speed????
The spyder decreases NEEDED rpms. Which means you should run a target speed at a lower RPM, so 80 at a lower RPM, maybe 2500 instead of your 2800, who knows but you get the idea.

As for the guy who asked whats a spydershaft, its a 16-17lb 1 piece driveshaft from spydershaft.com to replace the 43lb 2 piece driveshaft on the car. Weight difference matters even more when its in the driveline, like this.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

Sweet I'm mainly looking to kill some parasitic loss in my auto but if it also improves gas milage by producing sppeds at lower RPM's thats a bonus if you ask me. I def getting one now.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 10:17 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

jwgroovin, interesting you say it smoothed out your ride. I wonder if I'm loose on something somewhere? Hope not... Keep in mind I have motor mounts and torque limiters, so the 2pc driveshaft was one of the last pieces on the car that could take away vibration... I hope thats why Im feeling more road feel and noise.

Either way I love the harshness, thats why I bought this beast!
Don't mean to deviate slightly off thread (we can start another one) but I assume you have the CHE torque limiters and k-member brace or something similar? Have they helped your shifting at the track? I'm not one to miss third much--my Hurst shifter seemed to fix that one--but as I climb the horsepower curve I'm worried the twist on the drivetrain will eventually creep in there. Motor mounts (and maybe the squishy tranny mounts too) got to get replaced too one of these days. Like you I'm not worried about the harshness, but I want the mods to be effective...thanks. My son has taken a similar suspension route on his '87 GT, and flys down the track about a car length ahead of me each time. Can't have any of that!!

John
Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Very nice write up with this and I'm glad its working well. Mine actually smoothed out when I did the install.
Good luck with it and it is a great product.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwgroovin

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

jwgroovin, interesting you say it smoothed out your ride. I wonder if I'm loose on something somewhere? Hope not... Keep in mind I have motor mounts and torque limiters, so the 2pc driveshaft was one of the last pieces on the car that could take away vibration... I hope thats why Im feeling more road feel and noise.

Either way I love the harshness, thats why I bought this beast!
Don't mean to deviate slightly off thread (we can start another one) but I assume you have the CHE torque limiters and k-member brace or something similar? Have they helped your shifting at the track? I'm not one to miss third much--my Hurst shifter seemed to fix that one--but as I climb the horsepower curve I'm worried the twist on the drivetrain will eventually creep in there. Motor mounts (and maybe the squishy tranny mounts too) got to get replaced too one of these days. Like you I'm not worried about the harshness, but I want the mods to be effective...thanks. My son has taken a similar suspension route on his '87 GT, and flys down the track about a car length ahead of me each time. Can't have any of that!!

John
Yes its the CHE brace w/torque limiters. It was an awesome buy for the price. It stiffened up the chassis and makes the car shake due to the tranny being bolted to the frame. As for shifting, I did notice improvement, but not an amazing amount. I know many people spoke of huge insane improvements, so it must come on a case by case basis, but at the least you'll get some sort of improvement. Definately helps with the shift from 2nd-3rd.

Again, I hate the idea of the tranny beating itself up inside now because its not allowed to 'shake' its power out of itself... So far so good, I think, besides some weird clutch issues... I won't blame it on the tranny being help so tightly, yet....
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Ok, now I am not understanding how a different driveshaft can affect gearing, and hence, rpms. The light weight benefit I do understand. Also, does anyone know what we have 2 piece vs. 1 piece driveshafts to begin with? I assume that the 2 piece is a little more "forgiving" with its ability to flex, and decreases certain stresses on the drivetrain.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Well I thought I was gonna handle that install myself but after reading your earlier thread I am opting for the shop. It sounds like it gave you a real battle. However, it seems like it was well worth it. Think I'll order mine this evening!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 AM
rravolt
2nd Gear Member

definately having a shop put my ds in probably have them do it while their puttin my 4.10 in hopefully in a month or so

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.