Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty question

Nobody, including myself seems to be too sure about it so I just e-mailed Ford with all the details and I'll see what they say. I'll also try calling them on Monday to see if I can find something out about this. For those who might have the same question I'll be posting an answer whenever I get it so there's no confusion with which SC is ok to have if you want to keep the warranty etc. I really hope there is one because if I have to either keep this car N/A or get a 55k S281 I rather look for something else like a Vette... this warranty BS is important to me but those restrictions are just too ridiculous to not be violated if you own a Stang... or I'd say if you own a sports car.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 AM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

This one is easy. If you mod, do not expect warranty work unless you have a good relationship with your dealers service department. I have gotten to know the service manager at my dealership on a first name basis and he is usually the first one out to greet me when I show up for service, asking "what have you done new" I have had two TSBs done (fuel pump and rear end) and my car is far from stock. Like an earlier poster said, if warranty is aqn issue, do not mod.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 AM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

so how about if I wanna supercharge it? I didnt get this car to settle with 340hp produced by bolt ons but ford tries to tell me different with all this warranty bs. so far they don't have an SC that won't kill the warranty
If you wanted more power and the warranty was so important to you then you should've bought another car. If you supercharge your car and the supercharger causes the engine to blow then why should Ford warranty the engine?

That being said, there is supposed to be information on a 400 hp supercharger for the Mustang but the page it's linked to didn't seem to be talking about the supercharger. And the 400 hp supercharger I did find clearly stated that it would void the warranty.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

ORIGINAL: olvanish

so how about if I wanna supercharge it? I didnt get this car to settle with 340hp produced by bolt ons but ford tries to tell me different with all this warranty bs. so far they don't have an SC that won't kill the warranty
If you wanted more power and the warranty was so important to you then you should've bought another car. If you supercharge your car and the supercharger causes the engine to blow then why should Ford warranty the engine?

That being said, there is supposed to be information on a 400 hp supercharger for the Mustang but the page it's linked to didn't seem to be talking about the supercharger. And the 400 hp supercharger I did find clearly stated that it would void the warranty.

Well first of all if it's a part made AND installed by Ford why would it NOT warranty the engine. If Ford makes it for 2005 and up mustang and they do offer warranty for 3 years then I assume no matter what year mustang it will be bought for, it will be a mustang that's still covered by manufacturer's warranty right? Simple math, not unless somebody put 36k miles on it in 2 years. So if that is so then what are those superchargers made for in the first place? To kill your warranty so that after you spend 6k on that SC and another 1k to install it they won't have to worry about u anymore? As for the link part, maybe you didn't click on it right, try again.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:52 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Warranty?
If your worried about a warranty then leave your car stock. If you want to change YOUR car, then just do it, if something breaks, Fix it.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

You gotta pay if you want to play.
Why do you expect Ford to cover your mods? Why should they?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM
briboiblu07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

If he is going to buy an FRPP S/C thru Ford and have Ford install it..then yes, Ford should warranty it. It is a Ford part and Ford technicians did the work, so if it blowsup yourengine, it would be Ford's fault. Nissan had no problem keeping the warranty on a non-Nissan S/C that was bought through our parts department and installed by our technicians. I believe it says voids warranty on the site, for the DIY'ers out there. Why would they let you buy their S/C and warranty it after you installed it yourself or had an aftermarket shop install it.?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:49 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Just curious, will changing the exhaust void the warranty? I recently had dual exhaust installed. I asked my dealer to do it, but they recommended a shop they use to do it.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: briboiblu07

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

If he is going to buy an FRPP S/C thru Ford and have Ford install it..then yes, Ford should warranty it. It is a Ford part and Ford technicians did the work, so if it blowsup yourengine, it would be Ford's fault. Nissan had no problem keeping the warranty on a non-Nissan S/C that was bought through our parts department and installed by our technicians. I believe it says voids warranty on the site, for the DIY'ers out there. Why would they let you buy their S/C and warranty it after you installed it yourself or had an aftermarket shop install it.?
If you get a s/c installed by Ford or anyone else and you blow the engine up, the engine should NOT be covered by the original warranty...the warranty should only cover the engine for the 300 hp it was meant for...if you install the wipple and run is to 10 psi or whatever pushing 450+ HP and run the **** out of the car and the engine throws a rod.....why should Ford back that up. The stock internals were not meant to support that much HP really and you taking it to the track and maybe 100 passes doesnt help it. Why are people so quick to blame ford for not honoring their warranty? The same applies for the suspension, the warranty is for the stock suspension, if you replace the springs with 2" lowering springs but keep the stock shocks/stuts and blow one of them out....why the hell should ford replace that? You ****ed with the car and caused the problem by not properly supporting the new springs.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 PM
briboiblu07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Just curious, will changing the exhaust void the warranty? I recently had dual exhaust installed. I asked my dealer to do it, but they recommended a shop they use to do it.
No, exhaust usually won't void a warranty, it can't really cause any major malfunctions. And if something went wrong with it (the exhaust), the company you bought if from I am sure would warranty it if it was a defect or the shop that installed it would warranty it if it was due to their installation.

Quick Reply: Warranty question