Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Default RE: First Oil Change

I have explained this many times.
There has to be a compromise in the amount of filtering a oil system gets. Take it to the extreme and it's easier to understand. How about putting 20 oil filters on your engine.
The filter jobis to filter and allow flow. The extra guard, or double filters do the first well but when you put your foot in it then the filter (because it filters to well) doesn't allow enough oil threw the filter and the filter either goes to bypass (hopefully) or it staves your engine of oil. Now on grandmas car this kind of filter is better, but on a car that needs a good oil supply and sometimes needs a better oil supply, the more it filters is not better.
Fram does not filter the best but it does give the compromise that I’m looking for, (filter and Flow) and if you change your filter at around 4000 miles there should be no problem.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i wasn't aware of the issue with frams. thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

btw, tacobill has a DIY write-up for an oil change. check it out if you need to viperguy.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

fram filters are not the best...

Filter Comparisons

Old 07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

howarmat

The information you posted is just what the filter is made of and how it is constructed. Two points, but IMO not the important ones. like,

How much oil it will flow at a given pressure.?
How much oil it will flow when pressure is increased?
How much oil will the filter flow at a given viscosity , i.e 5W20 vs 10W30
What triggers the bypass

You can make a filter so thick with filtering material that it shuts the flow off.
Would that be a good filter?

"fram filters are not the best... " Thats an opinion all right.

If you would have read what I wrote you would see that I said fram filters are not the best. Let me cut-n-past it for ya.
"Fram does not filter the best but it does give the compromise that I’m looking for, (filter and Flow) "
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

btw, tacobill has a DIY write-up for an oil change. check it out if you need to viperguy.
How to: Change Your Own Oil [8D]

Just go get a Mobil 1 or Ford Racing oil filter and call it good.

I'm actually surprised no one brought up the Royal Purple and Amsoil arguement yet...
(j/k, please don't!)
Old 07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

I have explained this many times.
There has to be a compromise in the amount of filtering a oil system gets. Take it to the extreme and it's easier to understand. How about putting 20 oil filters on your engine.
The filter jobis to filter and allow flow. The extra guard, or double filters do the first well but when you put your foot in it then the filter (because it filters to well) doesn't allow enough oil threw the filter and the filter either goes to bypass (hopefully) or it staves your engine of oil. Now on grandmas car this kind of filter is better, but on a car that needs a good oil supply and sometimes needs a better oil supply, the more it filters is not better.
Fram does not filter the best but it does give the compromise that I’m looking for, (filter and Flow) and if you change your filter at around 4000 miles there should be no problem.
dude you are on an absolute roll today. Between sticking up for a crappy filter, insisting ford is advertising incorrect hp numbers when all they're doing is publishing bhp and you're comparing apples to oranges, then insisting that all v8s have to have an h pipe to function properly...now you're insulting / attempting to insult howarmat who is a senior member with buku knowledge? Maybe you should sign off for the day and start fresh tomorrow...I know it'll be Monday, but still...
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

fram filters are not the best...

Filter Comparisons

and according to that, k&n and mobile1 are in the middle quality range. why not just spend the $3-$4 for a good quality motorcraft.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I'll briefly jump in here. I used Fram filters for year and years along with Penzoil. I got way over 100K miles on my stuff with no oil useage, changing the oil and filter every 3K miles. That said, I wouldn't touch the stuff now days. I have seen the filter media tests and all, and just go with the good stuff like WIX or Motorcraft. Maybe it is maturity kicking in. I dought that, but I just want to use what I think is good products now that I have broken 50.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:09 PM
ViperGuy

So its almost unanimous, I will go with the full synthetic Mobil 1. I always change my own oil, that way I can use the oil and filter of my choice and its cheaper then paying someone.

Thanks for all the comments.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change