Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep old 06 a/t or buy new 07 stick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Keep old 06 a/t or buy new 07 stick?

1+ great advice and I think if you think long and hard you were probably leading to that decision in the first place -just wanted people to back you up and make you feel like you are making the right decision. Well the answer is that it is a personal decision and no one can make it for you. My opinion- go for the stick 07. I think it is a fair deal and who cares about another five years of payments esp if you are extremely happy with the stick over the auto in the first place. You will probably mod it until you sell the 07 (should you get it). Like you said everything will be new and the 07's have not had enough time to really show any major problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:57 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Thats excactly what I did!!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
paulsoo217
1st Gear Member

NEWS UPDATE: just picked up my 06 yesterday and will return for the new un-thunk part, and surprise, they put another ding on my car! Maybe they do it on purpose so I'd really want a new, undented vehicel. I'm still considering the money part...will let you guys know.
MYGT500: You're right, I'm just trying to get some support, and to get some different opinon at the same time.
2COKEMAN: So you got an 06 GT auto and traded in for 07 GT 5 spd? Are you having more fun with it than 06 : )
BTW, I still have the question on 07 clutch. Is it lighter than 06?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

hmmm...auto or MT? I say have your cake and eat it too...get both! The MT is great for fun and doing "tricks", the auto for street/strip consistency and the ability to eat a hamburger while cruising...if that isn't in your budget, you've got quite a decision to make...I myself seem to be a "glass is half empty" person when it comes to trans types, thinking about what I can't do with mine rather than what I can...oh well, hope I helped! (I didn't, did I...)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I say DO IT!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

DO IT
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Thesecars are part of us. If you are not happy with your car, you aint going to be happy with you. And when talking about a investment of 25k base with 5-10k in mods overyears.... Well, you better be happy at first.It is like a marriage, right?

I am in the same situation. I am looking for a divorce.

I got good credit and a stable finances. I am 33, and have worked very, very hard to get my mid-life crisis. I deserve it. Yes I do, and nobody but me can make it end. I feel as if I am caught in the movie American Beauty.

I got into my stang in 09/06 during the 0/72. I could not pass it up. I wanted a Black GT w/an auto pretty much loaded. I found it. I bought it. I got a great (dealer)price on my trade -500, invoice on the 'stang, and 0/72.

Then I learned of Black cars. Call me ignorant, stupid, whatever... I live in AZ. I really learned of Black cars....

Then I learned of sports cars... Now, dont call me stupid on this one. I have always been into motor sports, I aint stupid, but the "bug" got me on the the "mod" and culture. I did not think that I would want to track or drag my car. This was to be a bombin daily driver. Well, you live you learn. Now I want a junker to drive everywhere and to track/drag mod love this car...

So, I want a stick, and an easy(r) color. I love the Grabber Orange. It has my attention big tyme. I am thinking white also... But that vapor looks interesting.

Bottom line. If I was to dealer trade my car for another mustang, just a stick and a different color, the dealer is going to bend me over for 5-6k EXTRA over the next72 months.

However, would I be happily married, or just in a "satisfied" relationship. I keep going back to that damn movie.

Its a tough call, but if the bottom line is +/- 1-1.5k difference, go with your desire, if more, make a long term decision.

good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 PM
potro
1st Gear Member

GO FOR IT! Nothing like a brand new black car! Do it man.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 AM
paulsoo217
1st Gear Member

hahaha, you guys make me laugh. The reason is you are all very passionate about cars and with all the input, I feel cared and thankful.
S197Richie: Once in a while I get to drive my brother's G35 6spd, and I'm glad that I don't have a stick because I get tired on my leg and lower back from the clutch. But the Mustang is different, mainly because the exhaust sound is so rewarding and only on a stick you can "play your own symphany!" When I drove a black 5spd the other day at the dealer, I was excited about the lighter clutch, which I haven't found the truth whether or not it's actually lighter than 06. Plus, I was playing with a Shelby at the showroom with a Hurst and boy, I tell you, or you guys tell me, what-a-feeling!!! But I know, I enjoy driving to and from work effortless in my auto yet still have a lot of power...
CAPTIANXANAX: Midlife!? I'm 32 and I definitely think we're young and perfect fit for our cars! Especially the S197, I'm seeing a lot of older people in thier 50s driving it. That's when I think I'm not presenting myself as a boy-racer but a mature male driving a respectable, reasonably priced, fun, good looking, fast, comfortable, and patriotic American Icon. After careful calculation and senarios, here's what it boils down to: Approximately $5000 difference for me to keep my 06 a/t with 9600 miles vs. 07 5spd with 10 miles. The main cause for the 5 grand is due to the tax and license, the rebate I got was greater than this new deal, and I'm upgrading to a Premium from a Deluxe. I'm more on leaning to not to take this deal and insist on having the dealership to fix the "suspension thunk." Once that's done, I will have no regred or complain on the 06 GT; and glad that I'm not bumping my payment for an extra $ 80 / mo.

You guys are great, the dealer is giving me a great deal as well...geez!