Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are TSB's covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Default RE: are TSB's covered under warranty?

No! All TSB's are not covered under warranty! A TSB is purely a notification to techs of commonly occurring problems/fixes for problems. A TSB will be covered under warranty if the vehicle is still covered under warranty. If it is not, you get to pay.

I have a F350 Powerstroke which has a TSB for the coolant overflow bottles cracking. I had a problem with puking coolant out of the bottle, and had to pay for the new bottle, $380 I might add! The engine is covered by a 100K warranty and the truck only had 37K on it. However, the coolant overflow bottle is not covered under the engine warranty since it's not part of the engine.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

The true reason for TSB's is as a band-aid for the service manual. Revisions to the service manual have historically been pretty high cost actions. Now with more and more of the service manual being available on-line it's getting easier and cheaper to fix the service manual without publishing a TSB. The idea for the future of service is to be able to constantly adjust the service manual and use SSM's for notification of changes.

TSB's are more trouble than they are worth for the company for the reasons mentioned by others. People hear TSB and think recall......everyone floods the dealer whether they have an issue or not. This is one of the reasons that more and more of the meetings I'm in lately that used to conclude witha TSB assigment have now ended in no TSB issued.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

The true reason for TSB's is as a band-aid for the service manual. Revisions to the service manual have historically been pretty high cost actions. Now with more and more of the service manual being available on-line it's getting easier and cheaper to fix the service manual without publishing a TSB. The idea for the future of service is to be able to constantly adjust the service manual and use SSM's for notification of changes.

TSB's are more trouble than they are worth for the company for the reasons mentioned by others. People hear TSB and think recall......everyone floods the dealer whether they have an issue or not. This is one of the reasons that more and more of the meetings I'm in lately that used to conclude witha TSB assigment have now ended in no TSB issued.

I find it amazing how many "car people" don't know the true meaning of a TSB. Maybe we ought to do a sticky on car-shop talk.[8D]
Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Yay I have the Ford ESP 500+ and can mod my car to death because my Service Manager loves me. I take him to lunch and buy him gifts.

Yup... I'm covered!