Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Mustang Owners Chime In!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 AM
JimC

Default RE: Convertible Mustang Owners Chime In!

OK, So my wife has finally been convinced that she does not want a Firebird or a Camaro! (There is a God!) I have talked her into an S197 Mustang convertible. But she is concerned with the quality of the convertible top and the motorized mechanism. Having heard stories about inferior tops, She is very concerned. Has anyone had any problems with it or problems with with wind noise when it is up?
I have had a couple of convertibles before this 2006 Mustang. The quality of the top and system appears very good to me. No leaks, a little more noise of course than a coupe but no wind noise even on the expressway with a very strong wind blowing. No leaks in rain, and no leaks when I take it through one of the "touchless car washes" to get it cleaned quickly.

I had a Trans Am convertible (1999) - really liked the car but the top leaked quite a bit. My wife got soaked when she took it through a car wash on her way to work (and then the next day GM sent the letter asking if she was happy with the car and she unloaded on them). The dealer tried 3 times to fix the leaking and wind noise, finally sent it out to a convertible top shop to work on it and they managed to slow the leak but the car always had a small leak around the top of the windows. The Mustang is much better than that top was.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

This is our first convertible -- I've had Targa Tops (Vette), and T-Tops (TransAm) before and we are very pleased with the 2007 GT Convertible we have.
Very quiet with the top up -- quieter than my SRT4 was which has a roof :-p

The top operation takes about 15 seconds either direction, though it is very slick (Z-fold). The cloth is fairly high quality, though I notice there are some ragged threads in the rear window I'm going to have the Dealer look at.

It looks wonderful up or down. Love the roofile that emulates early Mustangs (as opposed to the fastbacks). In fact, one of my friends who is friends with someone who has a coupe said that it is a lot easier to sit in the back of the convertible with the top up than the coupe since you have more headroom!

And of course with the top down listening to the exhaust its priceless.

Go for it!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I have been very please with the quality of the top so far. The interior finish of the inside of the top is very niceand clearn.I have found the interior noise with the top up to be fairly quiet as compared to other convertibles. I also like how the first 12" of the top is hard so that when lowered it gives it a nice finished rounded look.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

I love my convertible, and to date, <knock on wood> have not had any problems with the top. You really won't hear much wind noise once you replace the exhasut with something louder.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
redwing014

Make sure to pay for teh upgrade to cloth.... It is well worth the price....
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

You can actually drive around with the top "up"?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I have only owned convertibles for the past 20 years (if you count a Jeep Wrangler as a convertible). I had a 2004 GT vert, then a 2006 Miata MX-5, now a 2006 GT vert. The top on the Miata MX-5 was the best - manual - 1 latch - up/down in 5 seconds. As far as sports car verts go - there is no other way to go than the Mustang IMHO. I have had no problems or complaints. BTW - I prefer the vinyl top myself. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
BuddaBing
1st Gear Member

listen, have a 66 vette 2 top vert and hard, both leak like a dyke! no not that kind the other kind ! [:'(]and a 94 vette vert, it doesnt leak, however the pins in the back wont stay connected, so rattles like crap. now my BaBy 05 mustang vert, not worth as much as the others but something about your fav kid! vortex, lowered a few, stedda this and that, lots of and made stainless under the hood, low 12's on a safe tune. who could ask for more?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

We picked up our Oh Five on 05/05/05, and have had a great time with it as a DD (first for me, and now it's my wife's DD). All four seasons - it's our family car. You should have NO regrets putting your wife into a S197 ragtop
Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Well, what is the phrase you use for having it covering the car? If the top can be down, can't it be up also? Whatever, symantics! lol
ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

You can actually drive around with the top "up"?

Quick Reply: Convertible Mustang Owners Chime In!