Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATALYTIC CONVERTER disenegrated

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

Default CATALYTIC CONVERTER disenegrated

Yes, that is what the service department told me whenI brought the car in.

I walked out from the doctors office the other day, started my car and it sounded like there were rocks flying through my exhaust. I have a C&L CAI and FRPP stingers. I took it home thinking i pissed someoneoffand theystuck something up there, but after vacuming it out there was nothing and every time the car runs its the same sound.

So i took it up to the dealer under warranty and the service guys said they will take care of it and clean the mids and exhaust out. They ordered two new converters for me. I am worried though. It sounds like there are some games going on because everyoneI talk to up there is hush hush about it.

Anyone have and ideas on what the problem could be. I had chunks of debris coming out my right muffler. It almost looked like dime size pieces of dry wall.
One thing that is good is that there not bitching about upgrades and they said if they caused the problem they will take care of it.

I also have a tune from Brenspeed....any ideas anyone?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CATALYTIC CONVERTER disenegrated

Personnally, I wouldn't have left the tune on there or the CAI. They might be cool with it though and leave it alone. Depends on the dealership. I have not heard of cats blowing up like that before though.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

thats why you get a off road pipe
Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

I had it with my Kooks High Flow Cats, just change out the cats and it will be fine. No harm done, just ceramic from inside of the converter.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

I thought cats werent that cheap? Is it uner warranty?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

Cats are covered 8 year-80,000 miles. Sounds like you got lucky with them replacing the cats. Some dealers would refuse to replace if you have aftermarket parts on. They may have to replace it anyway since it's a emmision part.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TTSRACINGWORLD

Cats are covered 8 year-80,000 miles. Sounds like you got lucky with them replacing the cats. Some dealers would refuse to replace if you have aftermarket parts on. They may have to replace it anyway since it's a emmision part.
+1. I'd say that's why they're being hush hush.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: miltoneagle

Yes, that is what the service department told me whenI brought the car in.

I walked out from the doctors office the other day, started my car and it sounded like there were rocks flying through my exhaust. I have a C&L CAI and FRPP stingers. I took it home thinking i pissed someoneoffand theystuck something up there, but after vacuming it out there was nothing and every time the car runs its the same sound.

So i took it up to the dealer under warranty and the service guys said they will take care of it and clean the mids and exhaust out. They ordered two new converters for me. I am worried though. It sounds like there are some games going on because everyoneI talk to up there is hush hush about it.

Anyone have and ideas on what the problem could be. I had chunks of debris coming out my right muffler. It almost looked like dime size pieces of dry wall.
One thing that is good is that there not bitching about upgrades and they said if they caused the problem they will take care of it.

I also have a tune from Brenspeed....any ideas anyone?

How many miles are on the car? Sounds like they were defective from teh factory. Cats don't just "go out" or go bad unless they're running under a severe rich mixture or they are clogged and just degrade from there. The "drywall" stuff you saw is the substrate where the catalyst is honeycombed onto.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

I have 6000 miles on the car. Its brand new 07.

They were saying that by law it is there job to make sure the car can pass emission standards so there gonna replace the cats. Thats exactly what that stuff looked like coming out of the back. Honeycomb drywall.

Does anyone think my tune was making the car run too lean or rich and may have contributed to the problem?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: probinator

thats why you get a off road pipe
dammit you beat me to it lol...

Quick Reply: CATALYTIC CONVERTER disenegrated