Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring and Pinion Arrived, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Ring and Pinion Arrived, need advice

yeah that is my guess too....they look very recent
Old 07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

so i just had them checked out, and its just as a feared. they are worthless. i cant understand how somebody could sell parts like this, i really want to think he didnt know, but how could he not. also, after having talked it over with a couple mechanics, they said it was not likely broken during shipping. they even threw a pinion at the street real hard several times to prove the point. they said that it's likely that they were installed improperly and chipped from being off. this guy better refund me.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 PM
331StrokerFox
I ♥ Acer

Your first problem is you bought used gears.
The second is that you bought Motive.
The third is that you got 4.10s. (Unless you have serious horsepower, you are just wasting your time and money) (Stick with the 3.55s or if you do not have that option, go with 3.73s)
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im lost.......if

they even threw a pinion at the street real hard several times to prove the point. they said that it's likely that they were installed improperly and chipped from being off.
they how the **** did

the pieces came bubble wrapped. i found the chips in the packaging.
did that happen...[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

why would you buy a used r&p?? they are so cheap to buy new! was there shipping insurance? maybe you could have the seller file a claim and you could at least get your money back.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

well i found one of the chips, i think the guy broke it off and tried to stick it back on. i dunno? but the other chips were no where to be found. i cant understand how this thing chipped appart. my friend/mechanic took a different pinion that he had lying around that was basically garbage. he slammed it on the ground several times. it got a bit scratched, but nothing chipped away. the pinion i got has some serious chunks broken out of it. the mechanic told me that it must have been seated poorly and pressure got to it, something like that.

strokerfox, the gears are ford racing, i never said they were motive. also, gears are solid as hell, its beyond me how this guy broke hardened metal. also, 4.10's are awesome on any manual mustang.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

btw the winnind bid on ebay was for 75. if they were good, you cant beat that. i've never had a bad experience with used gears before this. normally they are solid as ****.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

the pinion isn't going to break when it hits asphalt or cement, which is really rather soft, but it will break when it hits something real hard, like the pinion. by looking at the gear, i dont think it has ever been in oil or run with those chips in it.

$75, and install is like 400, you should have just spent the 200? on a new R&P....

Old 07-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 331StrokerFox

Your first problem is you bought used gears.
The second is that you bought Motive.
The third is that you got 4.10s. (Unless you have serious horsepower, you are just wasting your time and money) (Stick with the 3.55s or if you do not have that option, go with 3.73s)
DON'T EVER SPEAK AGAIN!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

boozshey, i wasnt gonna say, and now i dont have to. thanks.

takotruckin, install is free for me. you're right tho, they look like they were never in oil. the guy claimed 2500 miles of usage. it's possible he degreased them before sending. also, your right, asphalt is soft, but he did slam them down real hard multiple times to prove that it wasn't the shipping. each item was double wrapped in bubble wrap, and then a double layer of folded over bubble wrap was put between them. seems more likely they were poorly installed and went to ****.

Quick Reply: Ring and Pinion Arrived, need advice