Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many different key cuts does Ford have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How many different key cuts does Ford have?

this is messed up if it's more common, since most thieves in my area don't want to steal the car, they just want what's inside. Like Ipods, DVD systems, head units, sub boxes, nav systems, amps, etc.!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

You can only have so many cuts per number of tumblers, so it's not just a ford thing. It is rare, but it does happen. Think of it this way, If you lock your keys in you car, just call your dad and he can save you the pop a lock fee.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

You can only have so many cuts per number of tumblers, so it's not just a ford thing. It is rare, but it does happen. Think of it this way, If you lock your keys in you car, just call your dad and he can save you the pop a lock fee.
[sm=goodidea.gif]

I have 5 Fords from 2001-2007, maybe I should see what key fits what car.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:04 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

My father in-law used to buy and sell cars, he had a key ring with about 20 each of door and ignition keys of the old styleGM keys. He claimed he could open and start any of the older GM cars withhiscollection of keys. So, yeh it's scary, there is only so many combinations of key cuts they can make with the same blank key. I'm sure gladour keys are coded with a chip.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

yes, they do have the chip which dramatically increases the number of combinations to start the car. I'm laughing now, I guess when he sells his truck in a couple years, I'm getting some free spare keys, he has 2 extras. I'll just have to program the chips and I've saved $60
Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

just pray that the company that makes the deadbolt for your house or apartment doesn't use the same keys for different locks![]
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

just pray that the company that makes the deadbolt for your house or apartment doesn't use the same keys for different locks![]
Actually they do. There are about 42 different possible deadbolt key designs if I remember correctly. Maybe my math is off, it may be more than that. Anyway, there are about 7 or so positions with about 5 possible lengths per position, whatever that comes out to. I haven't done factorials in over 10 years to know how to figure that probability problem out.

On the plus side, I was wrong about the alarm. I guess it didn't arm yet when I used dad's key. I re-checked that again today because even if I use my key, the alarm should go off if I don't disarm it with the keyfob. It did go off when I opened the door. However, I was able to open the door and if you're able to move the key to the run position, which I am, I would assume you could use the valet switch to shut off the alarm. Hmmm....maybe I should check that next time I see my dad.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

wow
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

heres another one thats crazy,,,,my friends f150 key will unlock my marauder,,but wont start it,,,,,,and my 98 f150 key will open his girlsfriends truck, but wont start it..its crazy!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 AM
TxLonghorn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Actually they do. There are about 42 different possible deadbolt key designs if I remember correctly. Maybe my math is off, it may be more than that. Anyway, there are about 7 or so positions with about 5 possible lengths per position, whatever that comes out to. I haven't done factorials in over 10 years to know how to figure that probability problem out.

On the plus side, I was wrong about the alarm. I guess it didn't arm yet when I used dad's key. I re-checked that again today because even if I use my key, the alarm should go off if I don't disarm it with the keyfob. It did go off when I opened the door. However, I was able to open the door and if you're able to move the key to the run position, which I am, I would assume you could use the valet switch to shut off the alarm. Hmmm....maybe I should check that next time I see my dad.
If there are 7 positions with 5 possible lengths per position, there are 5 x 5 x 5 x 5 x 5 x 5 x 5 different possible keys, which comes out to 78,125 different key combinations.

Quick Reply: How many different key cuts does Ford have?