Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys locked in 2005 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Keys locked in 2005 Mustang

Method of last resort -

Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah and it would be a great time to convert
to the silverhorse racing louvers!

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Method of last resort -

Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Go Blue 48044
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

If someone is at home where your spare key is have them hit the remote unlock button while holding the key up to a phone, while you hold your cell phone up to the car lock. Yes, it works! We didn't believe it, so we tried it for ourselves. The high frequency sound goes right through the cell phone and presto! You're unlocked.
This was actually tried on myth busters to no prevail with all differant makes and models.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

really, i must have missed that episode

Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

If someone is at home where your spare key is have them hit the remote unlock button while holding the key up to a phone, while you hold your cell phone up to the car lock. Yes, it works! We didn't believe it, so we tried it for ourselves. The high frequency sound goes right through the cell phone and presto! You're unlocked.
What's the make and model of your cell phone and the other one that was being used? I've read on the Sprint Forums it does not work.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

The cell phone thing is total BS. RF are NOT picked up by the mircophone on a cell phone. Microphones are made to pick up soundwave. NOT Radio waves.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 AM
JimC

I did a similar thing recently -- accidentally locked the keys in the trunk when I put them in my jacket and decided to remove it while talking with a client on the cell phone. I called the Ford customer 800 line and they sent out a locksmith. He said that he had done 3 other Mustangs that week, and picking the lock is easy. HOWEVER - because I have never used the key to open the lock it said it was a little "gunked up" from lack of use. He had to cut a new key on the spot. He recommended use the key a couple of times a year and spray the lock with something like WD40 to keep it clean, not graphite because it would attract more dirt and cause more problems. In fact, to get the measurementsand to use the key in the lock in the lockcylinder,he eventually had to use brake cleanerandspray the mechanism inside.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM
EskimoPie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdt141

i have to call B.S. on using the phone to amp the signal....

remote keyless entry (RKE) systems are narrowband radios usually operating at 315MHz and 434 MHz... (FCC ISM bands)/ The old analog phone system only works from 400 Hz to 3400 Hz... you're simply not in the same spectrum.

Well certainly it's not designed for it, but any RF amp is going to pick up some amount of side band noise and ampilfy it along with the intended signal... granted a small amount compared to the designed band, but enough to give you a small boost in key fob range. Are you saying you believe it's being transferred over the cell sytem?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
krahez

I used a long metal hanger, straightened it out, went through at the back of the passenger window, reached over to the driver's side handle and popped the door open. No damage, other than my pride. I had the keys in the ignition, reached in to pop the trunk on the FOB, accidently hit the lock as well, closed the door and there I was. Why don't they have an internal trunk release on these cars?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

i read that there is a vacuum that when it brakes, you call the hotline, and put the phone up to the vacuum. The vacuum will send noises similiar to an old school modem telling the hotline what is wrong with it, that way you dont have to explain whatthe vacuumis doing to the phone operator when ordering parts... Sorta cool... it would be sweet if this worked with cars... but the FOB would sound like its dialing up everytime you pressed a button

Quick Reply: Keys locked in 2005 Mustang