Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Experience Headache from O/R exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone Experience Headache from O/R exhaust???

Hey guys, just chimming in here to see if i share some chronic headache symptoms in here with any fellow o/r stangers... I've been told that the fumes put out by the car with no cats may cause headaches, and I've definitely been experencing perpetual headaches. Im not sure if its related to other things as well or solemnly, but i figured it couldnt hurt to ask in here. BTW this is not the thread for treehugers to bash o/r pipes! k thanks!!![&:]
Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone Experience Headache from O/R exhaust???

Well...That is one of the symtoms for a slight onset of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you start feeling lethargic for no apperent reason, or nauseous then you have a MAJOR issue, and you should get your exhaust looked at immediatly.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Hey my wife used to get headaches from the noise. I'm not sure about fumes. However, I did end up having hi-flow cats installed. It solved the problem.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

Well...That is one of the symtoms for a slight onset of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you start feeling lethargic for no apperent reason, or nauseous then you have a MAJOR issue, and you should get your exhaust looked at immediatly.
That's the first thing I thought of. CO poisoning will give you a headache that won't go away for quite a while (I'd say 12-24 hours after you've been removed from the exposure). It can also put you in a bad mood for no apparent reason.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/coftsht.html

I'd definitely beconcerned aboutthat in this situation.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

I had the same issue so I got mine welded in and have not had the headaches since. Seems like mine was leaking at the clamp. Not sure if yours is the same thing but have it checked out.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

The lack of cats, COULD, contribute to headaches, but it would be more likely from a poorly installed system(I.E. leaks). I was having headaches from mine in late 05 and early 06, it was reasonace from a slight contact of the hanger on the off road x-pipe to the bracket on the car. It was very painful. I finally found the problem, and removed the pipes, and gave it a slight tap with a sledge hammer. Fixed it right upwith no headaches.

Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 AM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

ORIGINAL: banka87

That's the first thing I thought of. CO poisoning will give you a headache that won't go away for quite a while (I'd say 12-24 hours after you've been removed from the exposure). It can also put you in a bad mood for no apparent reason.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/coftsht.html

I'd definitely be concerned about that in this situation.
EEEPA EEEPA!!! Its a warning sign to all of us! hahah sorry the website link made me think of The Simpsons movie lol
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Get under there and check for leaks. I've seen a few people killed from CO (im a firefighter)...They never see it coming. You can't see it, smell it, or taste it. I wouldn't put it off either. You can be driving down the road one day, and just pass out...Game over.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

wow thanks for the insight everyone!! Im now taking this more seriously than I was before thats for sure!! I do want to say that I have the pypes o/r H which is welded at the H- connection point and is not just clamped together. I really love the sound/performance, but if its risking my health im not so sure its worth the trouble. I know that CO has no scent, but my car definitely puts out a strong smell as opposed to your avg. car with full emissions. I never considered the fact that maybe the sound is giving me the headaches, but what im going to do know is track the days I use the car and days I dont use the car and see if the headaches persist on only the days I use the stang. Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:18 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Just dont dump it behind your seats. I have no problems with my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Anyone Experience Headache from O/R exhaust???