Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6L Takes More Than 6 Quarts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default Off Topic

I was at a Sears auto center once getting something done on my Ford LTD. At that time I was allowed to go under the car while it was on the lift to check things out. I was playing around with the shift linkage when all of the sudden I heard a click.... the car had shifted into nuetral and started rolling off the ramp. It got to the point where some safety flaps kicked up andblocked the tires from rolling furthur.I never screwed around like that while under a car again LOL. Nowadays most places won't even let you into the service area because of people like me.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6L Takes More Than 6 Quarts?

IMHO for what it's worth (probably nothing) If the manual says keep it between the marks, then you are safe anywhere between the marks. If you don't bother to check your oil very often, then I would fill it to the top mark. If your concerned about better performance and you check your oil frequently, then the bottom mark is for you. Remember this, race engine builders add windage trays and use deep oil pans to get the oil in the pan away from the crankshaft. If oil is in contact with the crank itwill rob horsepower. At high rpm that could mean 15-20 hp being lost as the crank becomes a huge oil slinger, picking up the sump oil and throwing it everywhere. This robs hp as the internal components are forced to push and pullback and forthoil in the crankcase. One of the great advantages of a dry sump system is the pan is vacumed clean by the oil pump to keep this from happening. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

That 1/2 quart extra is costing you 1/10th in the 1/4! There is no reason to fill it up to the line, that line is not the full mark.

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Always has taken 6.5 for mine to hit the top of the operating range.
Check level after letting the car run for a few seconds, then letting it sit off for a few more. And make sure you're on level ground.

One reason is to have more oil, and more oil stays cleaner longer. Dilutes the dirt. Another reason is it may keep the oil a few degrees cooler. More oil with the same amount of heat is .....well, cooler. Another reason is, God forbid you use or leak some oil, you have a back up quantity.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not trying to change anyones mind about how much oil they put in their car, but Ford doesn't put things in bold faced type for fun. Your reasoning may be flawed.

Also, i know for a fact that Stoenr is only a tenth or two from12's in the 1/4 mile, so putting in less oil or rather the recommended amount of oilmight put him in the 12's.

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: moosestang

That 1/2 quart extra is costing you 1/10th in the 1/4! There is no reason to fill it up to the line, that line is not the full mark.

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Always has taken 6.5 for mine to hit the top of the operating range.
Check level after letting the car run for a few seconds, then letting it sit off for a few more. And make sure you're on level ground.

One reason is to have more oil, and more oil stays cleaner longer. Dilutes the dirt. Another reason is it may keep the oil a few degrees cooler. More oil with the same amount of heat is .....well, cooler. Another reason is, God forbid you use or leak some oil, you have a back up quantity.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Too much oil costs HP, all you guys do to add a few don't waste it by overfilling oil,end of story
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

+1.. Just check your oil and you won't need reserve in the car..
Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

Who takes their car to Walmart?????[:@]

I was jacks then jack stands. I don't like driving up those ramps. Might go over the other side.
that's why you go sloooooowwwwww....lol...hellen keller could tell when she was at the top of those ramps; they level out and the wheels kind of settle into the spot. But to each his own...