Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my rear brakes working??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Are my rear brakes working??

Here's the situation. The other day I had the rear of the car on Rhino-ramps in my garage. When I got done doing whatever I was doing under there I got back in the car and started it. I put my foot on the brake and moved the auto shifter into drive. The car stayed stationary and the ramps shot out the back of the car! The rear of the car just dropped and the ramps wound up behind the car and left rubber scrape marks on my garage floor. I would assume I applied enough pressure on the brake peday b/c the car didn't move, just the rear wheels did.

Anyone have this happen to them? How do I test just the rear brakes? I know the Ebrake works, b/c I have used that in the driveway, and when I jack up the car.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
jdt141
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Are my rear brakes working??

get the rear of the car on jackstands, apply the brake, have someone else attempt to turn the wheel by hand?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Wow thats interesting. Kinda scary actually.
I've noticed that whenever I put mine in reverse it immediately takes off fast even with my foot still on the brake.
But I dunno, maybe i'm just stupid
haha
Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

keep in mind that the rear brakes only do about 25% of the total braking on the vehicle and fronts do 75%...it's a lot of people's opinions that four wheel disc is overkill on most vehicles, esp with advancement in ABS, and the only real advantage is the added safety issue (auto-adjusting as opposed to drums which are supposed to auto-adjust but really don't, and wheel cylinders leak a lot more frequently than calipers)...drums would probably work a lot better in the rears (hell 18 wheelers use four-wheel drum brakes) and the 4 wheel disc is really one more selling point that the manufacturers can use...hell my 02 civic had rear drums, I guess honda figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and no sense driving the price of the car up even more with something you don't need, right? JMO...sorry didn't mean to praise honda, my boring days of driving a civic are long gone and I consider those years of my life totally wasted!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Here's the situation. The other day I had the rear of the car on Rhino-ramps in my garage. When I got done doing whatever I was doing under there I got back in the car and started it. I put my foot on the brake and moved the auto shifter into drive. The car stayed stationary and the ramps shot out the back of the car! The rear of the car just dropped and the ramps wound up behind the car and left rubber scrape marks on my garage floor. I would assume I applied enough pressure on the brake peday b/c the car didn't move, just the rear wheels did.

Anyone have this happen to them? How do I test just the rear brakes? I know the Ebrake works, b/c I have used that in the driveway, and when I jack up the car.
GOOD THING YOU DIDNT PUT IT INTO REVERSE.