Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StangMods Clear lens tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default StangMods Clear lens tip

Got my Stangmods front clear lens today (Yahoo).

In the box was a little piece of paper with a printed disclaimer on it. Quotation below:

Disclaimer of condensation warranty
Most aftermarket headlights, turn signals, tail lights and evenfactory OEM headlights, turn signals and tail lights can have condensation build up inside of the hoiusings after rain or because of excess moisture in the air. All lenses sold by Stangmods are not warrantied against condensation. This is the nature of aftermarket lenses.

I was a bit concerned about this, especially as the reason I spent the extra and went with Stangmod items was from recommendations on here centered around exactly this issue. "Cheap Ebay lenses leak, Stangmods do not" etc etc If the OEM lenses leak, Ford swap them out so I don't see the difference unless they are admitting to these things being of inferior quality right off the bat.

Anyhoo, I looked the lenses over and while they aren't going to survive into the next Millenium, they seemed pretty OK to me, certainly on a par with the Ford OEM ones. However, as soon asI had the first one fitted and went to install the bulb holders I saw the issue.

The smaller running light bulbholder, after being installed, just hangs in the lens body loosly, flopping about like a <insert rude analogy here>. It's a manufacturing fault and certainly not "the nature of aftermarket lenses". No wonder they leak

The fix is easy but I wanted to let you know beforeyou were on your hands a knees with a wheel off before realising that it was all going wrong.

You just need an extra rubber "O" ring to slide on the running light bulb holder before sliping it into the lens. This will force the bulb holder to pull back away from the lens and effect a tight fit.
Just a typical soft rubber ring about 1.3cm diameter and, I guess, 2mm thick will do it. Worked for me anyway, and of course, you'll need one for each side as the screw up is replicated on both sides.

It's kinda weird, the lenses fit in as snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug so the injection molding was pretty much perfect bar this small oversight.

Oh, they look fabulous of course and Stangmods sent them out real quick, no worries there. Stealth bulbs are the best to install, they compliment the look nicely.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: StangMods Clear lens tip

Clear corners are great they really tie in the correct look that matches the fog and headlights. I love mine, I didn't have the problem with the bulb socket being loose. Oh, forget my sig pic it's old, my clears are on I just haven't taken a new pic yet. Also, If anyone is interested don't buy the clears corners from Jegs. They sent me some and the housing was clear, but the side marker had an amber refector in it. I sent them back.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Did you get the disclaimer in your box Jerjan? If not, I suspect they had a dodgy batch come in.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I ordered mine long ago before it seemed to be popular and i did not get any disclaimer and my bulbs fit pretty damn good too..
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure who told you that Stangmods had better quality items than Ebay, but its not true. Its the same japanese junk. Identical. The projectors and clear lenses etc are the exact ones off of Ebay.

That being said... I've used both stangmods and ebays, and they both work fine (and they are both the same thing). As for the headlights, i would definately line them in sealant.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

LOL Could have saved half my money and bought from some Ebay seller it seems.

There have been a few threads covering lenses and the groundswell opnion has always been to steer clear [sic] of the leaky Ebay items and go for Stangmods. How ironic.
Maybe they have changed their supplier [to Ebay].
Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Marcus- I just ordered mine and they are on the way! I will post if I have the same experience. I too bought from stangmods instead of ebay so I can support our sponsors! Later.....Woodward Dream Cruise is coming up! Just got my chrome valve covers in as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

I love the look of those lights...are they illegal though?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I love the look of those lights...are they illegal though?
I'm not sure about the legislation regarding the non-lit aspect of clear lenses but you can either use Orange tinted bulbs to retain the amber flash or go the whole way and get Stealth bulbs which appear Silver but illuminate Orange.

Woodward Dream Cruise is coming up! Just got my chrome valve covers in as well.
Hi Jason. yea, I'm on for Woodward still although probably won't bring the Mustang. Figure I can buy more toys if i bring the Truck LOL Chrome valve covers, I was thinking of them myself but the problem for me is to be able towork up the energy to actually install them [&:]
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just installed smoked corners yesterday and noticed this as well....but it was only loose on the driver's side.