Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ewww, tape for a hood scoop? Would a hole underneath help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Ewww, tape for a hood scoop? Would a hole underneath help?

Ok... If I get a hood scoop it has to be the 3dcarbon because its the only scoop wide enough to go past my stripes. The scoop will be striped also, of course, but needs to go a little wider than the stripes to look right.

The 3dcarbon is only held on by tape though. That bugs me so much!!!

Do you think if I cut a nice hole under the scoop and hood that not only would it make the scoop functional, but most importantly it would allow air to escape the scoop and therefore not stress the scoop much? Or am I crazy? Or both perhaps?

or should I just cancel my forums membership and quit bugging you all?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ewww, tape for a hood scoop? Would a hole underneath help?

Just use some red Loctite

kidding, kidding
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Ok... If I get a hood scoop it has to be the 3dcarbon because its the only scoop wide enough to go past my stripes. The scoop will be striped also, of course, but needs to go a little wider than the stripes to look right.

The 3dcarbon is only held on by tape though. That bugs me so much!!!

Do you think if I cut a nice hole under the scoop and hood that not only would it make the scoop functional, but most importantly it would allow air to escape the scoop and therefore not stress the scoop much? Or am I crazy? Or both perhaps?

or should I just cancel my forums membership and quit bugging you all?
get over it... it doesn't need "help." Putting a hole in the hood simply replaces the static pressure with dynamic pressure as the scoop deflects the airflow from horizontal to vertical (downward). If it couldn't take the stress with plain old normal install, doubtful it couldnt take the install with a hole in your hood either.

Besides, you would have:
a hole in your hood
Yuch

contact the manufacturer if you're that concerned. Those guys would not be in the business if their scoops went flying off, when installed per instructions.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I read somewhere on an S197 board about a guy that try just that. Air was getting under the hood and I think it was lifting it up. Something like that...I can't exactly remember in any case, but the results ended up being very negative.

I think he had to get it fixed by adding a shaker scoop. In short, not a good idea! Also, water might get in there, you'd have to very careful when washing for example.

I wouldn't worry too much about a nonfunctional scoop. If you like it, then go for it. Even the functional ones aren't really a performance mod, just for looks.

Besides, other things on the car aren't functional like the rear spoiler, oil pressure gauge, chin spoilers, fake lower grille (it's hard plastic that is textured like a grille, but no holes!) and the "fog lights" (errr...is it driving lights, fog lights need to go lower!).

3M tape is great stuff. It seems hold plenty of side louvers on with no problem.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Don't you think the water would get into the engine compartment shorting out you never know what? How about the posts where people complain about their hoods lifting up and high speeds because of the air pressure in the engine compartment. U think it might go out through the hole on your hood possibly putting pressure on the hood from underneath therefore making it easier for it to fly off? That's something I don't know the answer to, but I'd think about it before drilling holes.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

The tape works fine even at high speeds. The nice thing about it is if you get tired of it take it off. I wouldn't worry about the tape being an issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

IMO there are so many much cooler things to purchase for your car than a non-functional hood scoop...hell my factory hood scoop certainly wasn't much of a selling point and I would've taken the car sans "appearance package" if I had the option...but hey opinions are like a$$holes and everyone's got one lol...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

IMO there are so many much cooler things to purchase for your car than a non-functional hood scoop...hell my factory hood scoop certainly wasn't much of a selling point and I would've taken the car sans "appearance package" if I had the option...but hey opinions are like a$$holes and everyone's got one lol...
I completely agree non-functional things sort of feel like a waste of money. Which is why I haven't bought a billet grill which I really want...

Its just that everytime I see as197 on the road with a scoop, especially from the side, i always think how mean that scoop makes it look. Its awesome.

Eh, I should just save my money..... (Well, I wouldve bought a civic and not touched it then....)