MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   why are GT's so much more in Canada... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/326282-why-are-gts-so-much-more-in-canada.html)

Erdrickk 08-02-2007 05:46 PM

why are GT's so much more in Canada...

I hope this is not a dumb question but in another thread people were listing what they paid for their GT....the usual was about $27,000 brand new.

Here in Calgary, Canada all new GT's start at either 33,000 or 35,000 depending on package you get.

Now I realize the American dollar is stronger than the Canadian dollor but not much anymore. Infact if I went to the states and bought a GT I would save thousands....

Anywho...can someone explain to me why such a large difference of $6000 - $8000?

Erdrickk 08-02-2007 05:46 PM

RE: why are GT's so much more in Canada...

also just to give you an idea...

here our 4.0 Pony Packages start at $27,900..... :(:(:(

Derf00 08-02-2007 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

I hope this is not a dumb question but in another thread people were listing what they paid for their GT....the usual was about $27,000 brand new.

Here in Calgary, Canada all new GT's start at either 33,000 or 35,000 depending on package you get.

Now I realize the American dollar is stronger than the Canadian dollor but not much anymore. Infact if I went to the states and bought a GT I would save thousands....

Anywho...can someone explain to me why such a large difference of $6000 - $8000?

Sure, it's called import taxes...see most other countries have it right, tax the beejeebus out of imports to keep the domestic market strong. Not the U.S. though..nope, we subsidize importation then tax the shiznit out of domesitc or make the US base manufuacture pay outrageous taxes and healthcare costs. So buying something from china is way cheaper than making it and selling it here.

s197richie 08-02-2007 05:58 PM

1. neat avatar...8 bit NES rules!!!

2. hey at least you get socialized medicine..also isn't hash and prostitution legal up there?

Erdrickk 08-02-2007 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: s197richie

1. neat avatar...8 bit NES rules!!!

2. hey at least you get socialized medicine..also isn't hash and prostitution legal up there?
Lmfao...No and No

Thanks..NES rocks! :D

Dwisforme05 08-02-2007 06:05 PM

no its not LEGAL. they are just not nearly as strict when it comes to pot. im not sure about postitutes but if i was walking down the street with a gram in my pocket and for some reason a cop searched me, he would just confiscate it and might get a fine. if u get cought with more than an Ounce on you then it gets alot different. also alot more people have cards that pretty much says they can smoke for medicinal purposes. my aunt owns a bar in missisagua ontario and a guy in there showed it to me once. medical hash is **** lol.

Erdrickk 08-02-2007 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

Sure, it's called import taxes...see most other countries have it right, tax the beejeebus out of imports to keep the domestic market strong. Not the U.S. though..nope, we subsidize importation then tax the shiznit out of domesitc or make the US base manufuacture pay outrageous taxes and healthcare costs. So buying something from china is way cheaper than making it and selling it here.
ok so......help a noob out here....

Right now the Canadian dollar is at $0.93 compared to the American Dollar...If I took straight Canadian cash and converted it..it would cost me almost $30,000 Canadian to buy a GT in the states...still $5000 cheaper than to buy one in Canada

But as soon as I brought it back across the border back in to canada they would make me pay thousands in taxes right? so its not worth it at all?

2cokeman 08-02-2007 06:22 PM

Correct!! We get ripped off in Canada on most items!!

Erdrickk 08-02-2007 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

Correct!! We get ripped off in Canada on most items!!
:(:(:(:(

doode 08-02-2007 06:43 PM

well you just have to pay the GST and PST when brining up the car
getting the recall letter from the manufacturer is also required