Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

Default RE: After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

ok sounds good thankyou
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

ORIGINAL: MTAS

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Excuse my ignorance on this point but, seriously, what is the problem with the stock gauge? I know it won't win any prizes for accuracy or looks, but surely it's measuring something?
It's not, though. It's fake. Think of it like an on off switch. Oil pressure good or oil pressure bad. There is no reading in between. The oil pressure "gauge" is just for looks. I reality it's an idiot light engineered to look like a gauge.

You could be loosing oil pressure and not even know it. The stock sender is binary. The whole point of a gauge is to monitor what the car is currently doing. The stock gauge doesn't do that.

Think of it this way, how would like it if your temperature gauge (I understand that's not very accurate, either) worked that way? You wouldn't know your vehicle was overheating until it was too late to do anything about it. One minute you're at operating temperature and the next minute you're overheating.

Note that you're oil pressure reads the same, no matter what. We all know that when the car is cold oil pressure is going to be high. It drops off as the car warms up. It will also vary with vehicle RPM. Not so with the stock gauge. It "reads" one oil pressure all the time, because that's what it's designed to do.

Is a working oil pressure gauge too much to ask for in a performance vehicle? I don't think so.
I couldn't agree more - very well put[sm=smiley20.gif] I'll add a bit of real world info here - several years ago a friend of mine with a '99 GT put a mechanical aftermarket OP gauge in his car. He used the little capillary tubing that comes with it (something I would never recommend), which also use compression fittings on the ends where it connects to the block and the back of the gauge. A few months later, the one on the engine side popped off and it sprayed 4 quarts of oil all over the place - remember the 4.6 only holds 6 quarts so you do the math[:@] His stock oil "pressure" gauge, which was still connected via a T-connection, never budged! WTF?!?!?!?!!! Bottom line - go with an electric OP gauge, or if you want a mechanical one, spend the extra money for a piece of braided line (which will never come off).
I had the same experience with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, although it wasn't as bad. It developed a leak at the gauge and oil was leaking into the cabin and underneath my carpet. It was a mess! Luckily, it was a slow leak, so no engine damage occured.