Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

Default After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Ok so in my previous post said i noticed my pan was bent. Well after calling a shop they want close to 500 for the install. They are saying they can either raise the motor or drop the k-frame/subframe. So what i want to see first is if im losing oil pressure. I'm guessing i should use a sandwich adapter on the oil filter because that will give me a reading after the oil pickup instead of have the sender in the pan. Would this be the better route? Does anybody have any experience with either the sandwich adapter or some kind of adapter for the pan? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

There's no pressure in the pan so it's pointless trying to measure it. The sandwich plate is a goodreliable design. You could of course use the stock pickoff point with a decent gauge....
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

well isnt the stock oil pressure gauge in the pan?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

there is some kind of sensor on the side of the pan i know that. And what are you reffereing to when you say the stock pickoff point? Sorry for all the questions im just not too familiar with this kind of stuff.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

For what it's worth, I installed an oil pressure gauge earlier this year and did a write up about it. The stock sender is very close to your oil filter. I took pictures, you can find them here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3043821/tm.htm

I hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I mean that the stock oil gauge must be reading oil pressure from a point on the block. So, perhaps you could unscrew the stock sensor and replace it with an aftermarket gauge.
I don't know what the sensor on the side of the pan is (Oil level?) but it can't be oil pressure. Oil pressure has to be measured on the motor side of the pump, and the pump is tucked further up than the oil level. The oil is drawn up from the pan by the pickup tube straight into the pump.

Oil pressure pickoff points are usually on one side of the block close to the front. I've never looked for it on mine however so there's a chance it could be some Alien alternative design LOL
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Excuse my ignorance on this point but, seriously, what is the problem with the stock gauge? I know it won't win any prizes for accuracy or looks, but surely it's measuring something?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

Well I dont have the upgraded gauges so i dont have the oil pressure or voltmeter gauges. And from what ive read (no first hand experience) the gauge is always going to be in the middle unless the pressure is very very low, then the gauge will show low pressure. The gauge does not actually move with the oil pressure. Like when you rev the car the oil pressure should go up but it doesnt on these cars. Thanks for the help guys. Once i get some money together for all the peices ill make this a nice weekend project.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

31 is an oil temperature sensor

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/CE626FAFC4F84C6FA23D5AE5E1148D33.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

ok yup thats the one i was talking about. To get off topic, What exactly is the point of it? There is no oil temp gauge in the car so what purpose does it serve?

Quick Reply: After Market Oil Pressure Gauge