Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear break in question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default Gear break in question

I know it's been addressed but I cant find the info. This time around I found some brand new Richmond 4.10's that I'm pickin up for $120. How do you like that?! Anyway, they better be brand new. My bro lives in Orlando and my mother is getting them for me, I told her to give them a good look, she knows what bad 4.10's look like, lol!

Ok the question. What's the break in process again? 3 heat cycles? What constitutes a heat cycle? Just a regular drive? Any set number of miles I should do?

Thanks fellas!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Gear break in question

Oh good one I know this was posted before...I will try to find it! Matt (howarmat) has all the links for everything on this site maybe he will chime in for you! J
Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 AM
ccpoole

Here you go. Look towards the bottom of the page.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3186495/...tm.htm#3194739
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

muchos gracias
Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

from tb's research:

RICHMOND GEAR:
BREAK IN
A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.
Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times.

how easy is that? i thought for sure it would take me ages to break em in.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

so the friction modifier get's added into the same place as the oil does? any oil that has it in it? i read that you add oil until it comes out, do you add the modifier before or after? if after, won't it just spill out since the oil is full? tell me more about this friction modifier please, and oil process.. thanks!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:10 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Check with your owners manual but I read on here that it handles about 2.1 quarts and many add a bottle or two of friction modifier after the install and with the filling of oil afterward. I would invest in a new rear girdle/rear diff coverso the oil can be changed and added to very easily. I thinkFRPP makes one. Hope it helps!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

so the friction modifier get's added into the same place as the oil does? any oil that has it in it? i read that you add oil until it comes out, do you add the modifier before or after? if after, won't it just spill out since the oil is full? tell me more about this friction modifier please, and oil process.. thanks!
You should only fill up to 1/2 inch from the top of the fill hole. Too much gear oil is just like too much engine oil. If you are going to add an additive, put it in first and then add the gear oil. DO NOT OVERFILL.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

thanks guys, perfect information!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yeah I had mine installed yesterday....I didnt get any specific break in period details....just dont go bouncing it off the rev limiter.....I had to drive about 50 miles to the install place so I couldnt give it a rest easily to let cool down per say. The guys took it for a 10 minutes test run and then it sat for another 15 maybe, then I took it workand it sat for a couple hours. Then 10 miles/30 minutes to home where it is still sitting in the garage. In all reality I am not going to be able to hear any whine because of the eshaust but the backlash was measured perfectly on them and I trust the guys at the shop since they work on real strip cars and have done tons of the older model and even a few of the new mustangs. Hell they have 3 mustang drag cars sitting in the back room they use.

Quick Reply: Gear break in question