Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help & advice on GT mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

Default Help & advice on GT mods

Hi guys, I'm planning on getting a GT soon and I was just wondering what would be the price of modding it and what do you guys do to them. This would be my first V8, since I'm coming from a 4cyl. Turbocharged car. Two completely different things hehe.

I'm planning on putting these up:

First:

Tints-
Gears-
Headers-
Exhaust-
Cams-
Tune-
Intake.

Secondary:

Wheels-
Supercharger-
a body kit/hood w/ front bumper/or w/e-

[Anything else I'm missing? lol]

I'm just wondering how much each of those cost in an average. Also, what would be a good manufacturer for those? Borla? Bassanni? etc.

Oh, and whatare/is the H/X/[other]-pipe? I know it's part of the exhaust and all that, but what exactly?

As you can see, my current car has being kept stock because I decided to save money for my next car [GT] so I could mod the crap out of it...that time has come.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help & advice on GT mods

The first list of mods you have is good. Although to do the cam swap the valve springs need to also be changed. That would be the pricest on the first list.
It also depends on what kit and rims you're looking for and what type of power adder you want. You can search around the forum and see what others have done to get a better idea of what would work for you.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Nelsta21
1st Gear Member

Dont forget about suspension! You will definately want to upgrade if you are planning on S/C your stang. Our cars respond really well to some simple suspension modifications like LCA's/UCA's, shocks, Panhard, lowering springs...ect. And the X/H pipe is the mid pipe that is inbetween the header and exhaust. Many guys on this forum are using offroad uncatted applications, but there are some nice high flow cats out there that will only dock maybe 2hp compared to the offroad pipes, and still be legal.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Nelsta21

Dont forget about suspension! You will definately want to upgrade if you are planning on S/C your stang. Our cars respond really well to some simple suspension modifications like LCA's/UCA's, shocks, Panhard, lowering springs...ect. And the X/H pipe is the mid pipe that is inbetween the header and exhaust. Many guys on this forum are using offroad uncatted applications, but there are some nice high flow cats out there that will only dock maybe 2hp compared to the offroad pipes, and still be legal.
+1 on the suspension
Old 08-04-2007, 01:02 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I don't know how far apart your primary and secondary lists are going to be executed, but you have significant overlaps between them.

Why bother with CAI & tune & Cams if you're going for Forced induction later, it's a waste of money. With a decent blower you can forget about having to tune the induction, you'll get more AF into the motor than you can handle.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

really? you think?? So I should save myself the intake, tune & cams and just buy the exhaust, h/x pipes, headers and gears?

So x/h pipes is like a downpipe for the turboback exhaust; hm, i see.Catless donwpipes get the most gains, I'm guessing catless h/x pipes are the same...I live in FL, there arent any exhaust regulations here, you are free to go out and pollute the Everglades and kill Mickey with toxins! So what shoudl I run?

Btw, how much does everything in my list cost? (I have an idea of the price, just wanna make sure)
Old 08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Nelsta21
1st Gear Member

Just price things you want out on brenspeed.com which will carry a lot of what you are looking to buy. I dont think anyone is going to attempt and price out everything for you. Plus you have to consider install prices, unless you are handy with a wrench and are attempting to do your own installs. I also AGREE with marcuskeeler. You definately don't want to go waste 600+ on a nice intake, then a couple months down the line go purchase a S/C which will have all the equipment you need. If you have the money now, I say go for the S/C, wheels/tires and suspension first. You will have a mean ride then. After that you can keep feeding your addiction with things like LT's, exhaust, gears, cosmetics. Hey that is only my opinion, i'm sure you know what you want to do.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

Well, that makes it all easy. If I dont have to spend money on a i/t&c, then its easier to purchase a s/c.

What does LT mean? LongTube Headers???

Will the car be able to run good without aftermarket exhaust, etc with a s/c? What I mean is. Can I put a s/c, wheels and suspension on the car without having to do anything else?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the website you provided me![brenspeed.com] It's awesome! Definately helping me out. I just have a few questions.

Which exhaust produces the most gains, the X pipe or the H pipe? Off road form speakin, since I dont need to pass emissions test down here in FL.

Also, Im seein the S/Cs. I know Steeda is a great manufacturer. But how'bout Paxton and Vortech? How good are these? They are relatively cheaper than the Steeda's [stage1 for that matter].
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

I pm'd THR [texashotrods.com]to see their prices on the Saleen, Roush, Paxton & ProCharger S/Cs.

I feel I'm talking all by myself. Not a very helpful crowd aren't we?

Thanks to the few that help though.

Quick Reply: Help & advice on GT mods