Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual Debate Continues....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto to Manual Debate Continues....

Good luck with the swap. I've looking at doing the opposite (to each his own). I've been doing research forsome time to swap the tranny on my GT500. I think the 2.8L KB with 4:10s and an auto transmission would be a nice touch

Any shop in the U.S that specialize in this kind of thing? I haven't been lucky so far in my search.

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

No doubt driving a manual is more fun (in my opinion), i wasnt intending to flame or anything, i just wasnt sure exactly why you wanted to do it.

Good luck with it, my shop just did an auto to manual swap last week and it only took a day. It is a pain in the ***, but less work then i originally thought it would be.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Definitely get the CAI/tune first. You are going to be VERY impressed with the difference. You might also consider a gear swap (my next mod)

I agree with the others though...seems like a lot of trouble and sort of counter-effective in my opinion. If you like manual so much, just wait a while and trade her in when you can't stand the auto anymore.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

Good luck with the swap. I've looking at doing the opposite (to each his own). I've been doing research forsome time to swap the tranny on my GT500. I think the 2.8L KB with 4:10s and an auto transmission would be a nice touch

Any shop in the U.S that specialize in this kind of thing? I haven't been lucky so far in my search.

No doubt driving a manual is more fun (in my opinion), i wasnt intending to flame or anything, i just wasnt sure exactly why you wanted to do it.

Good luck with it, my shop just did an auto to manual swap last week and it only took a day. It is a pain in the ***, but less work then i originally thought it would be.
A nice touch? You mean DOWNRIGHT FRIGHTENING!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Good luck with the swap. I've looking at doing the opposite (to each his own). I've been doing research for some time to swap the tranny on my GT500. I think the 2.8L KB with 4:10s and an auto transmission would be a nice touch

Pat - I think the AOD full manual or the AODE would be your best bet to keep it a great streetable car as well.

To the poster - let me give you a piece of advice that I have learned through many over the past 2 years...

If you ever plan on getting FI you can save yourself some later headaches now from what we have learned and that is...

Turbos do not like auto trans and TS blowers do not like the manual. The auto guys have far less belt issues with the s/c than the manual guys and the manual turbo guys have far less troubles than the auto turbo guys. Auto = best for s/c manual = best for turbo... This is fact...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:04 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

I for one am ready to do the swap, already have a clutch, flywheel, needed parts. just waiting to find a good deal on a transmission. Im only switching it out so i can be faster on road courses. If i wanted a drag car i would keep the auto. I will be installing it with a friend who has a lift so it shouldnt be too hard at all.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Fordfanboy,

I design blow molding equipment for a living (plastic bottles) so please tell me what AOD full manual or AODE is? Other than the position of the three pedals I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks!

Patrick

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Pat - I think the AOD full manual or the AODE would be your best bet to keep it a great streetable car as well.

To the poster - let me give you a piece of advice that I have learned through many over the past 2 years...

If you ever plan on getting FI you can save yourself some later headaches now from what we have learned and that is...

Turbos do not like auto trans and TS blowers do not like the manual. The auto guys have far less belt issues with the s/c than the manual guys and the manual turbo guys have far less troubles than the auto turbo guys. Auto = best for s/c manual = best for turbo... This is fact...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I too would definitely recommend getting the CAI/tune to see what you think. I also went F/I a few weeks ago and really like the auto. Been a manual guy for years but really enjoy my current set-up. Good luck as it does sound like an interesting project! Keep us posted as to what you decide to do.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Torque07
1st Gear Member

I have a manual and love it. But I plan on buying a used 05+ in a year or two so I can put a sc on it. I feel autos are best for a sc than a manual. I will be keeping the manual as well, because it is fun to drive. I have friends that are totally manual but if you ever drive a sc car with an auto you would be very impressed.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i would stick with the auto and get a custom tune.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM
*DarkStar
1st Gear Member

AWESOME. I really appreciate all the feedback guys.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Debate Continues....