Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual Debate Continues....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
*DarkStar
1st Gear Member

Default Auto to Manual Debate Continues....

Ok, so here's the deal. My wife and I picked up an 06 Mustang GT last year, and at the time it was our only vehicle and we both agreed that since it was going to be our daily driver and both of us were going to drive it, we decided to go with the auto tranny. Now that she has her own vehicle, I want to do an Auto to Manual swap. Now, before everyone on the Forums tells me it's a waste of money and I should have gotten the manual in the first place, just hear me out. I was on Craigslist the other day and I found a guy who's selling a TREMEC TKO 500 transmission for only $1500. I consider myself to be rather well mechanically inclined and I have a friend willing to help me with the swap who's ASE certified, and unlike some high school kid whose dad wouldn't let them get the manual, I fully understand how much hard work is involved (swapping out the computer, installing the clutch pedal, etc). On top of that, the TKO is perfect because it can handle additional torque from a supercharger (which is definitely in the works in the future).....

So, with all that in mind, is this a good deal? I would like an outsider's opinion, especially seeing as how I've invested quite a bit of money into my Stang already and have grown attached to it.....

(P.S. Sorry about the long post....)

[IMG]local://upfiles/74406/5084024A061C4EE6B716F99EA793B644.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto to Manual Debate Continues....

I would say it depends on what you like and what you do with it. I Bracket race so I opted for the auto. Its very consistant and that is what it takes to win at bracket racing and with a stall converter it is tough to beat off the line.If I was driving curvy, or mountainous roads give me a standard anytime.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Shock521
2nd Gear Member

hahah that highschool kid whose dad wouldnt let them get the manual is me
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shock521

hahah that highschool kid whose dad wouldnt let them get the manual is me
haha fail

But to the OP I would say thats a good deal if you know what your getting yourself into to.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

If you have the $$$, time, and knowledge, and most importantly the obsession with getting it, then by all means do it.

But, for someone like myself, I sometimes look back and wonder if I should've gottan and auto.. They're just as fast asa manualwhen a tune is installed, which I did not know before I bought so I got the manual. I wouldnt have to deal with shifting which I hate in day to day driving. And I've had clutch probs.

All Im saying is dont take what you have for granted!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

If your dead set on getting the manual go for it .... but i promise you with a stall converter and a good tune with cai youll be very happy with the automatic transmission , i mean thats a cheap price but you gotta think about how much time and effort is going to be put into this and also how important it is to make sure its done perfectly because a lot of problems occur through the transmission and buying a used transmission might not be a good thing. But then again i know manuals can be a lot more fun. If i were you id get a cai and tune because your prob going to want to do that anyway and see how you like it then either swap it out or go with a stall converter.

Btw thats one of the best looking cars around on this site i love that hood and its a well put together car.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:14 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Ok let me get this straight. You are planning on adding a supercharger, other performance mods, possibly racing (?), and you want to turn and automatic into a manual. I am extremely confused. When adding power and racing the usualy consensus is swapping your manual for an automatic, i've never heard of doing it the other way around. I just dont see the point. Swap a lentec (sp?) tranny or somthing.... but making it a manual is going to hurt your times, possibly severley depending on the power you are going to put down in the future.

And before you say im biased, i have a stick
Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
*DarkStar
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the responses...WhiteStallion I think I'm going to go with your suggested route and get the CAI and tune first and then see where I stand. OhsixGT, I forgot to mention that my intentions with this car are that it would be a street/strip car, as well as my daily driver, and I'm also going to take it to shows. With that in mind, my thoughts on the matter are that although it's already a blast to drive (I'm pumped every time I get behind the wheel) I'd like to make it more fun, and everyone knows that manual trannys are fun to drive.....
Old 08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Ok let me get this straight. You are planning on adding a supercharger, other performance mods, possibly racing (?), and you want to turn and automatic into a manual. I am extremely confused. When adding power and racing the usualy consensus is swapping your manual for an automatic, i've never heard of doing it the other way around. I just dont see the point. Swap a lentec (sp?) tranny or somthing.... but making it a manual is going to hurt your times, possibly severley depending on the power you are going to put down in the future.

And before you say im biased, i have a stick
Maybe he's like me. I'm saving up to turbo my car with a few other mods to go along with it but no matter how much power I get I would rather lose some time on the strip than switch over to an auto. For me driving a manual is much more fun.
To the OP. If you have the time, knowledge and money, go for it. Good luck and your car is sexy.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:25 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

No doubt driving a manual is more fun (in my opinion), i wasnt intending to flame or anything, i just wasnt sure exactly why you wanted to do it.

Good luck with it, my shop just did an auto to manual swap last week and it only took a day. It is a pain in the ***, but less work then i originally thought it would be.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Debate Continues....