Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is something wrong with my car?

Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Is something wrong with my car?

ORIGINAL: owero01

You should only shift into first after a complete stop. Even with the clutch in, its hard to shift into first. As for the idle issues, with the egine off an switch on, press the accelarator all the way to the floor slowly taking about five seconds to to it. Then release it the same way. If that doesn't work, remove the K&N and put the stock intake back on.
+1
downshifting into 1st while moving is killing her.
take it easy on the ol stang.
its not a racecar. its a v6.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Stangrunner06
1st Gear Member

Idle issue is normal, it is programmed in to puter for emission purpose, all std. shift cars do it, learn to live with it, and your CAI should be ok, I have the same with no issues. If the motor mounts and tranny mounts are ok, the shudder when shifting MAY BE due to releasing the clutch too fast, try it slower or with TC off, this may help if mechanically ok.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

the high rmp's in neutral are probably because you just started up your car and didnt let it warm up. it happens to me sometimes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:49 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

As for the idle issue, doublecheck your K & N install. You might have an air leak.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:55 PM
danam
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt

the high rmp's in neutral are probably because you just started up your car and didnt let it warm up. it happens to me sometimes
I have same problem on my 05 Roush standard tranny. Its been doing it more last week or so becasue of cold temp? maybe. It drops from 750 rpm to about 500 goes right back up.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Agree 100 0/0

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: owero01

You should only shift into first after a complete stop. Even with the clutch in, its hard to shift into first. As for the idle issues, with the egine off an switch on, press the accelarator all the way to the floor slowly taking about five seconds to to it. Then release it the same way. If that doesn't work, remove the K&N and put the stock intake back on.
+1
downshifting into 1st while moving is killing her.
take it easy on the ol stang.
its not a racecar. its a v6.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viperrmk

When I'm shifting in to first I'm doing about 15 MPH and I don't let out on the clutch. (while braking) clutch in, shift in to second let out a little, then clutch in while still braking shift in to first and dont let out on the clutch. I have never shifted in to first and let the clutch out while slowing down.

God never would I shift in to first to slow the car down, thats suicide!![&:]
Hmmm, This is ALL wrong. By shifting into 1st and not letting the clutch out...1. what's the point. and 2. That's called "riding the clutch", bad bad.
Next, the "(while braking) clutch in"...bad again...you're riding the clutch again. Then you state again "then clutch in while still braking shift in to first and dont let out on the clutch".
Riding the clutch again. The correct method is to "just brake" and pop it into neutral just before the RPMs fall low enough to "stall" it, and release clutch. Do not sit at a light with
it in 1st gear holding the clutch in...unless you're at the track of course.

Don't mean sound like an a$$, just trying to give you some pointers.The 1st car I ever drove and got my license with,had a manual.If I ever did what you're doing (riding the clutch thingy)....when my dad was teaching me to drive....I got a backhand upside my head.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I know a couple people that sit at a light with it in gear and the clutch pedal all the way in. I've always been told this is a bad thing and hence try to avoid that habit myself. But those two guys both tell me it's not that hard on it.

When I approach a light I keep it in gear until about 1K RPM at which point I pull it out of gear. I don't put the clutch in. It will just slip out and won't grind gears. You have to time that right though because if the revolutions drop below about 850 or are above 1000 then it will grab and won't release w/o using the clutch pedal.