Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Strip Warrenty Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Default Drag Strip Warrenty Question

ok bit of a random question,

I told my dad I wanted to go to a Drag strip with my new mustang.

he got in a huge fit about it voiding any and all warrenties I have on my car permanently.

now, I think he might just be pulling my chain cause i just bought a 30Grand car and want to race it..

but is their any Truth that if you take a car under warrenty to a Drag strip, it voids the warrenty?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Strip Warrenty Question

ORIGINAL: Dorsil

he got in a huge fit about it voiding any and all warrenties I have on my car permanently.

now, I think he might just be pulling my chain cause i just bought a 30Grand car and want to race it..

but is their any Truth that if you take a car under warrenty to a Drag strip, it voids the warrenty?
Don't tell them you race it.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

If they find out about the strip they can decline any warranty claims you make. There was a guy in my town, with a fox who had some alignment issues with his car, (frame was twisted). He took it into the dealer and they ended up giving him a new car. A couple of weeks later an employee showed the manager a video of him drag racing. Well you can probably figure out what happened next.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 AM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

People amaze me. more worried about trying to keep a young personfrom racing at a track because of warranty issues. Like thats going to matter. then they just end up street racing and getting someone hurt. Dad if your reading this take the boy to the track and make it a bonding event. It can be lots of fun and very addicting. These cars are tough. I have several mods on mine and usually race it every weekend, except for right now, tearing it down and modding it more while its so hot outside but then I will be back. never had anything happen to it yet. I bet if something did happen and it wasnt covered under warranty it would be cheaper to fix than a messed up car from racing on a narrow 2 lane country road where a lot of street racing takes place or worse yet someone in the hospital or fatally injured. I vote for my kids taking them to the track and racing in a controlled environment
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 AM
brewcity
2nd Gear Member

+1

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dorsil

Here is what i have seen.

First, if they can prove it. CLAIM DENIED.

Your word against there's? Your in good shape.

But,

We had a car come in to our dealership with a broken axle. Front wheel drive car. Put it on the lift and sure enough, the right front axle is sheared in half. Not at the joint but almost in the middle. So of course that sends up a red flag because usually that wont happen, its usually at a joint area. But it might have made it thru the warranty police if had not been for all the rubber that was caked in and all over that wheel well and for the fact that , that tire was 3/32's less on the rubber then the other 3 so it appears to be a burnout king. BAMM! CLAIM DENIED!! Documented as car abused by owner. On a flat bed she went.

So,

If your car breaks while drag racing, before taking it in, clean the crap out of it and dont leave a trail. also come up with a good plausable scenario to tell the service writer of what happenedto increase your chances of making it thru. But if all else fails, take responability for you actions and show them the commercial where the dad and son are doing burnouts in the parking lot and having fun doing soas a defence of some sort.

If you totaly abuse the car, something may break/wear out faster,but, for the most part you will be fine. Just switch tires before you go in.....

Just remember, "THEY" have to prove it.

Also,

+1 on track only! Maybe 20-30 years ago when things were different but now your just asking for trouble and maybe worse?

Don't ba a statistic or make somebody else one.......................
Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Tell your dad that is a good way to get young people killed cause it encourages them to race on the street which is STUPID.

Here are the FACTS. Racing at a strip WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY in any way shape or form.

HOWEVER - almost all insurance companies will not cover you for any damages that are incurred at the racetrack. If for some reason you have an accident at the track. Make sure you ask/pay someone to take your car out off of the track property (there are lots of guys with trailers so this will not be difficult) Once you are off the property, then it is safe to call AAA or roadside assistance and never admit to breaking the car at a racetrack or your insurance claim will be denied.

If this fact is a spoiler with your dad, then let him know that you can purchase seperate insurance for drag racing coverage. Just search around the internet, there are several companies who offer it...

Other than that, it is perfectly fine, not just fine, but THE RIGHT THING TO DO, to take your car to a safe track for some fun.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Sorry Fordfanboy but you are incorrect. If something breaks while you are competing in any type of racing be it drag racing or road racing and the dealership knows or finds out they can and will Void the warranty.And it is perfectly legal and there is nothing you can do about it. Better go read Page 7 of the Warranty Guide that came with your car.

When you Race you assume all risk for any and all damages that happen to your car. It is not right for you to even try to make Ford or an insurance company pay for your repairs. And the things suggested by Fordfanboy are Illegal and considered insurance fraud. Man up and accept your responsibility's

Richard
Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Wow I love working at a dealership.
We had a guy come in with a burnt clutch for the third time within 12,000 miles on a Cobra. I knew he raced it because I would talk with him at the track. Ford sent out an inspector and the warranty claim was denied due to abuse. However, the guy had a very good point in saying "Ibought the cobra to drive it fast. Do you Deny warranty claims on guys with trucks the haul something in the bed?" Our Ford rep actually agreed and had us repair itonly this last time. Guy ended up coming back the following week to buy 2 new trucks.
Tell your dad that it's fine. Unless you have something crazy done to the car it shouldn't brake. Unless that part was already faulty, and then it's better to break at the track then to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
GT500OC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

Wow I love working at a dealership.
We had a guy come in with a burnt clutch for the third time within 12,000 miles on a Cobra. I knew he raced it because I would talk with him at the track. Ford sent out an inspector and the warranty claim was denied due to abuse. However, the guy had a very good point in saying "Ibought the cobra to drive it fast. Do you Deny warranty claims on guys with trucks the haul something in the bed?" Our Ford rep actually agreed and had us repair itonly this last time. Guy ended up coming back the following week to buy 2 new trucks.
Tell your dad that it's fine. Unless you have something crazy done to the car it shouldn't brake. Unless that part was already faulty, and then it's better to break at the track then to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Agreed, I also had a similar problem and brought it up the "food chain" at ford and got lucky enough to get in contact (and we still stay in contact) with the guy who is in charge of the drivetrain for the GT500 for SVT and he waved his magic wand and I got an exception for my car that allows me to bring my HEAVILY modified Shelby in for service without them giving me any SH**. Stay the course and keep on bitching until you speak to the right person.

GT500OC

Quick Reply: Drag Strip Warrenty Question