Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my first 05 stang

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
atethecat

Default just got my first 05 stang

I have money to work with...what is out that I can put into my car...I've got $5000 to throw away...well thats what the wife will let me spend right now
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: just got my first 05 stang

Congrats on the new car. $5000 can get you some good apperance mods and some engine mods. The thing is there is not that much engine mods for the new stangs yet. There will be soon though so don't worry. Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
atethecat

what kind of apperance mods can I get. I can't stand those young kids with the riced out cars so I don't want to go that route. money really isn't a problem for me. just the wifey gets mad when I go spending like crazy sometimes. thats why I bought her the escalade so I can justify buying my toy.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:18 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Ha ha. You can get a Saleen body kit, rims, bigger brakes (apperance as well as a performance mod). Just those little things.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:28 PM
atethecat

If I wanted a saleen I would of bought one. I wont pose. I like the older look it has and would like to add something that would compliment that
Old 01-31-2005, 06:05 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Its not posing. Its just a body kit. I didn't say to put on all the emblems and have the saleen window banner and all that stuff. That would be posing.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
atethecat

I thought if it was the kit it would have the name
Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atethecat

I have money to work with...what is out that I can put into my car...I've got $5000 to throw away...well thats what the wife will let me spend right now
Before you start spending, maybe you want to wait a few months. There are not a lot of performance upgrades for the 05 and what's out there is a little expensive right now with a very few exceptions. Soon there will be a lot more companies to choose from and the prices will come down.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Earl
1st Gear Member

Some people are putting in cold air intakes and flashing thier chips with performance tunes. I'd love too - your only talking maybe $600-$700 there and a performance boose of probably 40-50hp or more, but it invalidates the factory warranty (not to mention my extended warranty) so I can't justify the mod as much as I'd like too. Also I'm 41 years old. I didn't buy the car to race and don't care too - but I do like the retro look and want it to perform well.

I have other things in mind (and they don't add up to $5000). A performance exhaust will not only get you 5-10hp but will also give the car a better sound. I have a Magnaflow catback system ordered from Ninosports for my black '05 GT. With the 2.5" factory mandrel bent exhaust a catback isn't as necessary as with earlier 'stangs - but when the price is approximately the same, what the hell I say. I'm in Texas so have to pay state sales tax but still shipped and with sales tax the entire #15881 catback exhaust with mufflers and tips is $433 - about the same as the axleback price.

For someone wanting to spend a bit more you could allways get a highflow cat replacements and possibly headers.

I'm contemplating a Steeda or MGW short throw shifter ($180-$250).

You might go with some aftermarket 18" tires and rims - can eat up some money there. I'm pretty happy with the factory 17" Bullits - I'm thinking about ordering some pony spinners for them - $100 for the set.

I'd love to get a shaker hood when CDC comes out with it - but then that gets us back to the CAI and peformance tunes and dealership issues. Some say you just reset your chip back to factory stock settings and the dealership will never know. Perhaps so. I think it likely not the case, not if the dealership wishes to be picky. FORD removed the ability to plug in chips for a reason - to stop the aftermarket tunes. As a programmer, I know how easy it would be to set aside a block of memory in the EPROM to record a log of when the chip is flashed. Ford would have been stupid not to implement that feature if they are concerned about getting a handle on aftermarket tuning. Also I live in an area where emissions are monitored very closely at inspection time.

Will probably get some Steeda billet accessories for under the hood and interior.

Good luck and have fun with her!

Earl

Old 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
atethecat

thanks everyone for their inputs

Quick Reply: just got my first 05 stang