Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby paint issue

Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
jbnetdev
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby paint issue

Your all mistaken Its completely the reverse. I didnt purchase the clearcoat for the warrenty i got it because itsawsome protective material. Heres the cold hard proof to back up what i told you. I pruchased the caddi below back in 95 used.. It was really like new/ I had the clearcoat protection applied only one time. I never used soap only water and soft towels. I never used soap or even waxed it. Soap is the worst finish eater ever.. See pics. What i did was take a little care 1 washed andf dryed it off frequently kept it out of the sunin the garage.Look at the finish it sparkles I just sold it for 5 gs because it was cherry and looked still like new. I think the clearcoat along with a little care worked dont u think.. Ive had this little gemfor over 10 years and it looks like it did the day i got it. Live and learn the hard way usually its the only way. It took me 35 years to get it right and now i can say i have. My little toy is going to look like this caddiafter 10 years and this is a collectors itemlol

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/4DF82178ACD145F89640789F7EEAB31F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/B09E862CE36E420CB4F3AFCD40FD7024.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/FD1B27040F9F423192DD2E4CFBC0C5B8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Most of the stuff the "Business / finance" person tries to sell you (paint protectant, interior protectant & undercoating) is junk and about 50% more then retail. Besides, they contract that work out anyhow.

Undercoating only lasts a year........and unless your winters involve pure salt being thrown on the roads, I wouldnt bother.
The interior protectant is ScotchGuard spray of some sort. Thanks, but I like to use leather conditioner myself, and interior protectant wipes.
Paint protectant? Uhhh.........whats that? They say not to wax for the 1st year when thats applied. Yeah, ill just wax my car thanks. I like spending quality time with it.

Like I said, when it gets all swirly and scratched up from everyday use, Ill get it pro repainted in metallic black, with a red candy, and 3 layers of clear.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Clear Coat and undercoating...UM..I got a bridge for sale...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
jbnetdev
1st Gear Member

lol you all completely missed MY PROOF. Lasts a year hahaha. Tell me why did mine last 10 + years., When you have a shelby basically a museum piece 500 is not a huge investment. And also it saves a hell of alot of sweat and hard work waxing and then buffing it out. That alone over the years adds up to much more then 500 dont u think. I call it the 3 p's **** poorp-lanning = **** poor performance I remember back in the 70s. I tweaked out a 67 camero ss 350 small block 4 barel 650 holly oversized cam, headers 12. to 1 compression 12 bolt posi rear end etc etc It was fast as helll i killed everyone. Im so sad i was a dumb ****teen that knew it all...sort of like youn guys lolI blew itI ****ing thrashed the hell out of it. Boy if i had that to do over i would do everything differenetly
Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
jbnetdev
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: STORMEASTON

I also bought a new Shelby GT, black and silver stripes and here's my problem,whenI went to pick it up the dealer looked like somebody shot his dog. He explained that they had parked the car on the front lawn and that the sprinkler system had been on while it was there. The problem was that this system had hard water in it and stained the car. The silver stripes were so stained it was unbelievable. The black paint has millions of water spots in it, the stripes will have to be replaced and the car totally buffed out. They granted my request to replace the silver stripes with gold ones which is the color combination I wanted in the first place. I also bought the extended warranty with the clearcoat finish and the undercoating which they hadn't done yet, but you can bet your a$$ I'm gonna go over that car with a fine tooth comb when I get it back.
Thats allways the way to learn. Its called the hard way. Your very smart to get the clear coat. I also suggest getting a car cover for it it u park it outside. It will prevent sun damage and also hard water damage. If it gets wet immediatly dry it off if u can. The clear coat does repell waterand combined with the cover your car will look cherry for years and years. BTW good choice in your purchase i personally think it was the best model for the price. Shelby GT is in its own class.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

I'm not doubting whether the added layer of clearcoat is worthwhile or whether it's better to wash without soap and forgo wax.

But I will say that I washed my yellow '95 GT (with soap) regularly, waxed it once a year, and kept it in a garage at home and at work. The paint looked factory new when I sold it last year. So added clear coat or not, a paint job should look brand new 10 years down the road if you take care of it -- especially if its parked in a garage.

ORIGINAL: jbnetdev
Your all mistaken Its completely the reverse. I didnt purchase the clearcoat for the warrenty i got it because itsawsome protective material. Heres the cold hard proof to back up what i told you. I pruchased the caddi below back in 95 used.. It was really like new/ I had the clearcoat protection applied only one time. I never used soap only water and soft towels. I never used soap or even waxed it. Soap is the worst finish eater ever.. See pics. What i did was take a little care 1 washed andf dryed it off frequently kept it out of the sunin the garage.Look at the finish it sparkles I just sold it for 5 gs because it was cherry and looked still like new. I think the clearcoat along with a little care worked dont u think.. Ive had this little gemfor over 10 years and it looks like it did the day i got it. Live and learn the hard way usually its the only way. It took me 35 years to get it right and now i can say i have. My little toy is going to look like this caddiafter 10 years and this is a collectors itemlol
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

car was soap does not hurt the finish. If you use dish soap, that will strip the wax and hurt the clearcoat. Car wash soap is specially formulated for use with automotive finishes
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I used to detail proffessionally, and i can tell you right now you MUST condition/wash your car (with soap) and apply wax prefferably at least twice a year (with a quality wax).

This "no washing with soap or waxing" mumbo jumbo is complete bs, and is used as a sales pitch. I apply a very quality paint sealant (Klasse) every 3 months and VERY quality pure carnuba wax (p 281s) at least once a month.

I bet you a $100 that if you put a plastic baggy on your hand, and ran it accross your finish you would feel a ton of sediment that is hurting you paint (trust me, try it!)
If you havnt washed your car with soap yet i guarantee your car is due for clay bar and a very good wax job.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 AM
STORMEASTON
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: EskimoPie

First off, let me say I know nothing about these 'extra clearcoats' that you guys are referring to but I gotta say I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about anything like that. It sounds like BS to me... They say it guarantees the paint finish for 3 years? Uhh, the factory warranty allready does that... if you're having paint issues within the bumper to bumper warranty period, they they are obligated to take care of it. If these extra finishes were so incredibly great then why on earth wouldn't Ford incorporate them into the manufacturing process... And don't tell me that it would be too expensive for them... they have every incentive to make sure the car doesn't need warranty repairs for those 3 years.

And under coating???? I thought that went the way of the dodo bird 10+ years ago... I've always read that undercoating is a big NoNo... it can actually trap moisture and CAUSE corrosion and it gets on parts that aren't supposed to be covered, etc... It's like the dealer selling you stain-protectant treatment for you interior, or security etching your windshield... all these are total BS things that dealerships do to whittle more money out of the sale with next to ZERO benefit to the customer.

sorry, just my $0.02

[hr]

Well, the dodo bird is alive and well. It's called Auto Armor and itwarranty's your car FOR TEN YEARS against rust perforation and 6 years for surface rust! Had I purchased this for my 98 Ford P71Intercepter (cop car)I wouldn't have had to pay for two new front fenders, and tworepairs to the back quarter panels, which theAuto Armor would have been much cheaper. I doubt that the 07 Shelby GT that I have will see a winter here innorthern Wisc. whichthey salt the $hit out of the roads almost evrey day, but if I do I know I'll have the protection. As far as the under coating, your way off base here.....how could it trap moisture? its a sealant not a sponge. The only way that you would trap moisture is if you spayed it on when the car is wet. Watch power block TV, they undercoat every vehicle they restore and there in California! Lasts only three years?I just got done taking the body off a 1967 Galaxy 500 the body was in great shape.......why......because it was undercoated, by the way that stuff is a real SOB to get off metal surfaces. Lets see 1967 minus 2007 hmmm........thats 40 years a far cry from 3 years. And that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newfrance6

So, while washing my car today I noticed a small spot that is hard to describe (didn't get a chance to take a pic yet). On the driver's side door there is a spot (about 1/8th inch) where the paint came off but isn't chipped. It's like the pain dripped. When i first saw it it looked like a drop of water and when i tried to wipe it off i realized it wasn't.

I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I sure hope it's warrantied because as I looked very carefully there are about 8 other spots like that but much much smaller. They are all on the driver's side door. Couldn't find any other elsewhere on the car although i already have 2 rock chips on the bumper.
Now I'm worried that if they repaint it's going to be a horrible job...
What should I do?

Ha... The GT500....

The engine is hand built with pride!!!

Thank you Matt and Thomas!!!!

The car well, the car is painted by Ford....

FU very much Ford....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby paint issue