Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

Default Shelby paint issue

So, while washing my car today I noticed a small spot that is hard to describe (didn't get a chance to take a pic yet). On the driver's side door there is a spot (about 1/8th inch) where the paint came off but isn't chipped. It's like the pain dripped. When i first saw it it looked like a drop of water and when i tried to wipe it off i realized it wasn't.

I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I sure hope it's warrantied because as I looked very carefully there are about 8 other spots like that but much much smaller. They are all on the driver's side door. Couldn't find any other elsewhere on the car although i already have 2 rock chips on the bumper.
Now I'm worried that if they repaint it's going to be a horrible job...
What should I do?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby paint issue

If its just on the door I wonder if there was previous damage that the dealer touched up before they sold the car to you.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

Yeah maybe they repainted the door. I looked for clues though and couldnt find any. I have to look everywhere to see if i can see any of the little spots developping.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

what color is it? Black is really easy to match if that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it matching. I don't even remember how many choices there were for GT500's
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

It's white with blue stripes. I don't know much about body work and painting the car. I had a bumper painted once and it had small bubbles in it but I didn't care for the car like I do for this one.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

If anyone knows of a really good body shop in NJ, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 AM
jbnetdev
1st Gear Member

Thats a shame. I also just purchased a 07 Shelby GT. I purchased a extended warrenty thats guarantees the finish for 3 years renewable for another $500. They apply a clearcoat to your finish and its very durable and repells both water and dirst and makes washing a breeze. This clearcoat is so strong that you will never have to wax your car and itwill last forever, I dont use soap just water and soft towels. Also suggest you get a car cover it will keep your car clean for days. Your shelby like mine is a collectors item its very important you keep the finish perfect. These cars will only go up in value.The extra cost is well worth it beleive me. My pics below

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/38E0B364FC154E928C3C7E43B5E97FAB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/0356D71C41294C82947E12F71B5FFB41.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/2352C08DDB7E4C3D911B70BBFE86A923.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/DF0A0808E7DC4E04A1B27EA70FBAA461.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/76372/FB5BBB978DDB4E8E86F127A9ADF91DFD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

good way to distroy your paint!don't stop waxing&washing with soap.would you wash your body without soap?i have had that on a few cars and if your smart you'll wash&wax.it does't do anything to the treatment except make it more protective.talk to a good body shop and they'll tell you the same thing.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 AM
STORMEASTON
1st Gear Member

I also bought a new Shelby GT, black and silver stripes and here's my problem,whenI went to pick it up the dealer looked like somebody shot his dog. He explained that they had parked the car on the front lawn and that the sprinkler system had been on while it was there. The problem was that this system had hard water in it and stained the car. The silver stripes were so stained it was unbelievable. The black paint has millions of water spots in it, the stripes will have to be replaced and the car totally buffed out. They granted my request to replace the silver stripes with gold ones which is the color combination I wanted in the first place. I also bought the extended warranty with the clearcoat finish and the undercoating which they hadn't done yet, but you can bet your a$$ I'm gonna go over that car with a fine tooth comb when I get it back.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
EskimoPie
1st Gear Member

First off, let me say I know nothing about these 'extra clearcoats' that you guys are referring to but I gotta say I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about anything like that. It sounds like BS to me... They say it guarantees the paint finish for 3 years? Uhh, the factory warranty allready does that... if you're having paint issues within the bumper to bumper warranty period, they they are obligated to take care of it. If these extra finishes were so incredibly great then why on earth wouldn't Ford incorporate them into the manufacturing process... And don't tell me that it would be too expensive for them... they have every incentive to make sure the car doesn't need warranty repairs for those 3 years.

And under coating???? I thought that went the way of the dodo bird 10+ years ago... I've always read that undercoating is a big NoNo... it can actually trap moisture and CAUSE corrosion and it gets on parts that aren't supposed to be covered, etc... It's like the dealer selling you stain-protectant treatment for you interior, or security etching your windshield... all these are total BS things that dealerships do to whittle more money out of the sale with next to ZERO benefit to the customer.

sorry, just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Shelby paint issue