Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Mustang Owners - Speeding Fees

Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Virginia Mustang Owners - Speeding Fees

Who cares anyways? Money to send cops to clean up accidents? People maybe dying or killing other people in wrecks?

As far as i know illegal immigrats cost billions of dollars and cause a majority of the crime in the US. Spend your time on that!!

Sorry to jack the thread!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

From the Virginia Code:

ยง 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

and

ยง 46.2-861. Driving too fast for highway and traffic conditions. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who exceeds a reasonable speed under the circumstances and traffic conditions existing at the time, regardless of any posted speed limit.

and

ยง 46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule. Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

If you're in VA here's your petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/petition.html
Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

My question is:

Where were you when this law was being debated in your state government?

Where were you when this law was voted on?

Where were you when this law was sitting on your governors desk waiting to be signed?

You sit there and complain on the internet about the laws that your state government passes. That's a little late in the process to be sitting there and complaining. In this country it is not only your right but your duty to participate in your government. And that means more than just voting. That means actually being involved in the process of making laws and informing what actions your state government needs to take BEFORE they take them. That is why there is a process that not only each state government but the federal government must take before it can enact a law.

So tell me, what did those of you who live in Virginia do to prevent this law from being passed?

I don't feel sorry for anyone that doesn't like a law or the job their government is doing when all they do is sit on a computer or around the water cooler at work and just complain about it.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

My question is:

Where were you when this law was sitting on your governors desk waiting to be signed?

You sit there and complain on the internet about the laws that your state government passes. That's a little late in the process to be sitting there and complaining. In this country it is not only your right but your duty to participate in your government. And that means more than just voting. That means actually being involved in the process of making laws and informing what actions your state government needs to take BEFORE they take them. That is why there is a process that not only each state government but the federal government must take before it can enact a law.

So tell me, what did those of you who live in Virginia do to prevent this law from being passed?

I don't feel sorry for anyone that doesn't like a law or the job their government is doing when all they do is sit on a computer or around the water cooler at work and just complain about it.
I agree 100%....however, politicians are very sneaky and they try to get these things done before anyone knows it's happening. We can't all pay attention to every move every elected official makes and have lives of our own.

Still, I agree, we all need to be paying attention as best as we can...and make moves when we can. I keep voting against these idiots in MD and my guys still never get elected.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

My question is:

Where were you when this law was sitting on your governors desk
waiting to be signed?

I agree 100%....however, politicians are very sneaky and they try to get these things done before anyone knows it's happening. We can't all pay attention to every move every elected official makes and have lives of our own.

Still, I agree, we all need to be paying attention as best as we can...and make moves when we can. I keep voting against these idiots in MD and my guys still never get elected.
Its not a new law, its a fine imposed on a law already in effect. We the people did not vote on the fee. It was put on us by Va politicians. Most countys are finding it unconstitional and throwing out the fines. Still B/S.. Time tovote outthe ones who put it in.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
MotionParts

Hate to sound like a party pooper, but I wish they'd bring theses laws to Arizona. The driving down here is awful and I'd love to see how quickly people who use their car like a toy get it taken away or can't afford it anymore.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

My question is:

The law was covered extensively in the press prior to it's inception. I knew about it long before it went to effect. Let's face, most people don't pay attention.

We have a terrible transportation problem in the state, particularly in the north near Washington and the southeastern part of the state. The Governor isn't really responsible for this one. Republican legislators did not want to raise taxes, so the governor was forced to make the compromise, it was either that or no new roads. So, if the "abusive driver" fees go away, then taxes must go up to pay for these projects.

It was easier to raise the DMV fees than to increase the fine. The only problem is out of state residents don't pay Viriginia DMV fees! They get a pass on the extra fees.

I'm a little torn on the subject. Personally, I believe I have a right to safely travel the speed limit if I so choose. I find it almost impossible sometimes! Remember, I have rights too and fast drivers have to share the road with others. Speeding trucks for example, are a terrible problem on interstate 81 in our state. The last thing I want VA to turn into is Atlanta, where everyone seems to do 30 miles over speed limit.

$1,000 is a bit too excessive, though. Personally, I think fines should be based on income like they are in Europe. Alternatively, you could raise the price of the ticket with each offense to a maximum of $1,000, that's much more fair.

Don't forget! Traveling 80mph or over is also reckless diriving in VA! That's 15 mph over the 65 mph limit on the interstate, otherwise, it's 20mph over.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Va. Stang

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

My question is:

Where were you when this law was sitting on your governors desk
waiting to be signed?

Its not a new law, its a fine imposed on a law already in effect. We the people did not vote on the fee. It was put on us by Va politicians. Most countys are finding it unconstitional and throwing out the fines. Still B/S.. Time tovote outthe ones who put it in.
[sm=exactly.gif]........Politicians looking fora way to make sure they get paid!
What really erks me is the VA Lottery! Many people were not in favor of it being legal in VA, but it was the Politicians who said, "Part of the $$$$ would be used for Schools and ROADS!" So why are they always looking for more ways or excuses to make us pay more $$$$ out or our pockets?!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Va. Stang

The people of Va may not have voted on it, but the people you elected to your state government did.

wmtheflash said it was covered in the news before its inception. Seeing as how I don't live in Va I don't know if thats true or not. But this law didn't happen overnight. I'm not sure when the governor signed it but it looks like it was close to 3 months before it went to the governors office. Hardly overnight and under the table.

The problem is people have atittudes like Va Stang. The well I have a life and don't have time to keep up on what my government is doing. Well guess what, the government is a part of your life wether you want to acknowlidge or not. They are the ones that make laws that directly effect you. Like this fee that is being imposed on Va State residents. If you don't make the time in your life to keep up on what your government is doing then don't complain about what they do. Because it's not their fault you don't like the laws they pass, it's your fault due to inaction and apathy towards the problem. You can make all the excuses in the world for not being involved in the process. But the only reason there is is because you don't want to be involved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Virginia Mustang Owners - Speeding Fees